Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA
PLYMOUTH, Mich. - The Lincoln Stars (16-18-0-1) started early with three goals in the first period en route to a 5-3 win over Team USA (22-10-0-1) on Friday night at USA Hockey Arena.
The Stars jumped ahead 1-0 with the opening goal at 3:15 of the first period on a wrist shot by forward Dominick Mersch in the left circle. Stars forward Philippe Lapointe added to the lead at 15:09 on a deflection in front of the net, doubling the advantage to 2-0. Team USA forward Alex Turcotte drew the home side within one, 2-1, at 15:57 on a shorthanded goal, but Stars forward Devlin McCabe answered back at 18:02 with a power play goal off the boards, stretching the lead back to two at 3-1.
The Stars added two more goals in the second period starting at 2:06 with a wrist shot from forward Tristan Ashbrook in the left circle, spreading the lead to 4-1. Mersch tallied his second of the night at 10:23 on a fortuitous bounce, and the Stars took a 5-1 lead.
Team USA started to creep back in the third period with a goal at 9:50 thanks to forward Danny Weight, cutting the lead to 5-2. A late power play goal by Turcotte at 19:05 brought Team USA within two goals, but the Stars held on for the 5-3 win.
Team USA netminder Spencer Knight (7-3-0) halted 16 of 21 shots in the loss, and Cameron Rowe turned away all 16 shots in relief.
The Stars return to the Ice Box on Friday, Feb. 16 at 7:35 p.m. against the Omaha Lancers.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 18 - USHL
- Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tristan Ashbrook Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Take Down Aces, 8-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Make Deal with Aces - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.