Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions
SANDY, Utah (Monday, Dec. 3, 2012) - Real Salt Lake has signed DF's Chris Wingert and Tony Beltran to contract extensions. Per league and club policy, terms of the deals will not be disclosed.
"Chris and Tony have both played integral roles in RSL's success," RSL General Manager Garth Lagerwey said. "As we redefine our team's core, we feel that they're two critical building blocks for our future. They're standout players and individuals and we're thrilled to have them both back."
Wingert, 30, joined RSL via trade with Colorado on July 13, 2007. RSL's longest-tenured field player, the Babylon, N.Y. finished 2012 tied for second on the team in league appearances (31), third in starts (30) and third in minutes played (2603). All three numbers were career highs for Wingert, who is third in RSL history in MLS appearances (153), fourth in starts (142), fourth in minutes played (12,668) and eighth in assists (11).
"I'm really excited," Wingert said. "I've said all along that Real Salt Lake is where I wanted to be. I love all the guys on the team - it's been a great 5 1/2 years for me here and I'm looking forward to being here in 2013 and beyond."
Real Salt Lake selected Beltran with the third overall pick of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft. The 25-year-oldright back was a full-time starter for the first time in 2012, leading RSL - and setting career highs - with 32 MLS appearances, 32 MLS starts and 2,857 minutes played. Beltran is 10th in club history in MLS games played (110), 10th in games started (99) and ninth in minutes played (8877).
"I just want to thank the organization for giving me their full support in representing this club in the future," Beltran said. "I'd like to thank Head Coach Jason Kreis and the rest of the back room staff for helping me grow exponentially, both personally and professionally, every year. Five years ago I arrived in Salt Lake City to begin my professional career. I can't stress enough how much this city has taken me in as one of their own, and I have come to truly consider SLC my home. I feel privileged to be able to continue my career here, and I promise to give my all for the team and our amazing supporters."
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.