Real Salt Lake President Bill Manning Named Major League Soccer Executive of the Year
SANDY, Utah (Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2013) - Real Salt Lake President Bill Manning received the prestigious Doug Hamilton Award, signifying recognition as the 2012 Major League Soccer Executive of the Year. Presented by MLS Commissioner Don Garber in a private ceremony, the award honors RSL's growth and excellent metrics in key business areas, including ticket sales and retention, corporate sponsorship revenue and activation and local television ratings.
"Under Bill's direction, Real Salt Lake has shown consistent, steady growth and the club has excelled both on and off the field, across a number of different competitions," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "The club's metrics in key business areas can be directly attributed to Bill and his hardworking and dedicated front office staff. The atmosphere inside Rio Tinto Stadium - a true home-field advantage - is among the best in Major League Soccer."
Real Salt Lake also saw several of its ticket sales representatives recognized for their efforts to build and maintain an ever-deepening culture for the sport on the Wasatch Front.
"First and foremost, any of these honors would not be possible without the incredible passion and commitment of our dedicated fan base," said Manning, who was named the 1999 USL Executive of the Year as President of the Minnesota Thunder. "This award is really a reflection of the great staff we have here at Real Salt Lake, they make me look good every day."
Manning - who received his MBA from the University of Bridgeport (Conn.) - embarked on his 20-year sports career in 1993 with the Continental Indoor Soccer League and then went on to manage four different teams in the United Soccer Leagues and Major League Soccer between 1994-2002. Manning then joined the NBA Houston Rockets in 2003, playing a key role in the opening of the state-of-the-art Toyota Center, before joining the NFL Philadelphia Eagles as Vice President of Sales from 2004-2008. Manning took the reigns as President of Real Salt Lake & ESPN700 in April 2008, later adding duties as President of Rio Tinto Stadium, which opened in October of 2008.
Manning was particularly proud not only of those recognized on the RSL ticketing staff, but also that two other executive award recipients - Steve Powell of the Houston Dynamo & Jessica Worley of the Chicago Fire - once worked for Manning during his days with the MLS Tampa Bay Mutiny and the NFL Philadelphia Eagles.
Real Salt Lake also was recognized for a trio of Club Ticketing Awards, earning one of five "President's Club" honors for amassing between 7,500 and 11,999 Full Season Ticket packages. By renewing greater than 90% of the team's season tickets from 2011 to 2012, RSL's ticket staff, under the direction of Vice President Michael Schetzel, earned the "Commissioner's Club" recognition in that category. RSL also garnered "President's Club" status in the Group Tickets class, selling between 75,000 and 99,999 group packages.
Individuals from RSL's ticketing staff to be recognized at the MLS Executive Awards Ceremony were: Brent Stevens (New Season Ticket Sales, Bronze) for his sales of 250-349 new packages. Stevens was joined in the Bronze class by four RSL staffers who also earned "All-Rookie" status: Andy Atwood, Philip Dahl, Nick Hansen and Teddy Sprout.
Individuals recognized for their Group Tickets sales for RSL were: Matt Rader and Scott Reynolds (Gold level, 18,000+ group tickets); Mike Demko (Silver level, 14,000-17,999); Jen Petrosky (Bronze level, 10,000-13,999). Both Demko and Petrosky earned "All-Rookie" recognition as well in the Group Category, while three members of RSL's ticketing staff - Demko, Petrosky, Sprout - joined the club from Major League Soccer's National Sales Center in Blaine, Minn., a year ago at this time.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 23, 2013
- Revs pursue USL PRO affiliation under new partnership - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Terminate Contract For Defender Wilman Conde - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas waives Ricardo Villar and James Marcelin - FC Dallas
- Academy Update: 2013 D.C. United Training Program open for registration - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake President Bill Manning Named Major League Soccer Executive of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- College student season ticket packages on sale now - New England Revolution
- MLS and USL PRO Announce Groundbreaking Partnership - MLS
- Sporting KC enters into affiliation with Orlando City SC - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS and USL Pro Announce Groundbreaking Partnership - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Trio - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bull Arena Named CONCACAF Gold Cup Venue - New York Red Bulls
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Begin Preseason Camp In Florida This Week - New York Red Bulls
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Serve as Host for 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Real Salt Lake
- CONCACAF Announces 2013 Gold Cup Host Cities and Venues - Portland Timbers
- CONCACAF Announces 2013 Gold Cup Host Cities and Venues - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Soccer Foundation Unveils Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Preseason Notebook: Supplemental Draft Offers Depth - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.