Real Salt Lake DF Rich Balchan to Miss 4-6 Months After Successful Shoulder Surgery
SANDY, Utah (Friday, May 17, 2013) - Real Salt Lake DF Rich Balchan underwent successful surgery to repair a dislocated left shoulder on Thursday in Salt Lake City. The surgery was performed by team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Andrew Cooper at Salt Lake Regional Hospital. Balchan will miss four to six months.
Balchan dislocated his shoulder twice in the first 13 minutes of the RSL Reserves' 1-0 win over the LA Galaxy Reserves at America First Field on April 28. He received treatment and continued playing after suffering the first dislocation, but had to come off after suffering a second dislocation minutes later. This is Balchan's second left shoulder surgery in the last several years.
The 11th overall pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, Balchan signed with Real Salt Lake this preseason after spending his first two years with the Columbus Crew. The Indiana University product dealt with other injuries at the start of the 2013 season and has not made any appearances this year for the RSL first-team. He has five MLS Reserve League appearances - including two starts - and one start in a friendly match this year.
Real Salt Lake will return to MLS action this Sunday, when it will close its three-game road trip with a match against Western Conference foe Chivas USA at the Home Depot Center. Sunday's match will kickoff at 8:30 p.m. MT and will be broadcast live on CW30, ESPN 700 AM and 102.3 La Gran D FM/1600 AM.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2013
- LA Galaxy Have Their Sights Set on Stopping New York Red Bulls Henry - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Daily News - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Host LA Galaxy Sunday at Red Bull Arena at 1:00 pm - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Back on Road at D.C. United on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Host New England Revolution on Saturday Night at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Seahawks and Sounders FC License Plates Available in January 2014 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Jairo Arrieta - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Columbus Forward Jairo Arrieta - MLS
- D.C. United Showcase to Take Place in Roanoke, Va., on June 16 - D.C. United
- Revolution Heads to Texas to Battle the Houston Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Newtown Parent Connection, Inc. (NPC) Announces Soccer Revolution Fundraiser - New England Revolution
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 17 - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Advisory: Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson to Throw out First Pitch at White Sox Game - Chicago Fire
- Kei Kamara and Soony Saad Selected for Upcoming International Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Close Three-Game Road Trip Sunday at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake DF Rich Balchan to Miss 4-6 Months After Successful Shoulder Surgery - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew at Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Injuries Force Warzycha to Juggle Lineup - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.