Rapids Sign Goalkeeper Clint Irwin and Defender Kory Kindle
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Thursday, February 21, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids announced today that the club has signed a pair of young players, goalkeeper Clint Irwin and defender Kory Kindle, as the club continues to round out its roster. Irwin, 23, was a four-year standout at Elon University and has played professionally in Canada and the United States in the last two years, while the 21-year-old Kindle, the Rapids' second round MLS SuperDraft Pick, starred for California State University Bakersfield from 2009-12.
"These two young players give us depth and will push others for playing time in their first MLS seasons," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "Kory is a player we scouted over the last few years in college, and we were thrilled to get him in the SuperDraft, while Clint came to us highly recommended and made a great impression in preseason. We'd like to welcome both players to our squad."
A native of Charlotte, N.C., Irwin played at Elon University where he was named All-Southern Conference in each of his four seasons on the team, setting school records in single-season and career shutouts. In 2011, he played for Capital City FC of Ottawa in the Canadian Soccer League before joining his hometown Charlotte Eagles of the USL PRO in 2012.
A left-back from Ventura, Calif., Kory Kindle played four years at California State University Bakersfield, making 72 career appearances and scoring 13 goals. The 5'11" defender earned NSCAA All-Far West Region second team honors in 2011 and Academic All-Conference honors in 2010 and 2011, and was drafted by the Rapids with the 25th overall selection in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft.
The Rapids travel to California this week to play their final preseason matches, coming on Friday in Santa Barbara. Colorado opens the 2013 regular season on March 2 at FC Dallas, then returns home on March 9 for the home opener against the Philadelphia Union. For more information, or to purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2013
- Veteran Leaders Expected to Help Revs Close Games - New England Revolution
- Chivas USA Set for Preseason Finale on Saturday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Formalize Fan Loyalty Program - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Ready for 2013 Preseason Finale against the Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Play in Nationally Televised FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Premier League Defender/Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire 2014, 2015 SuperDraft Picks from Vancouver - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Sign Goalkeeper Clint Irwin and Defender Kory Kindle - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Renews Association with Match Analysis - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Launch Chicago Fire Recreational Soccer Program - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Michael Nanchoff - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host "March to Soccer Week" Across Bay Area - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Olmes Garcia - Real Salt Lake
- Fagundez Shines Despite Revs' Frustrating Finish - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to FC Dallas in Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Late Goals Doom Revs - New England Revolution
- Desert Diamond Cup: Sounders FC 2 vs. New York Red Bulls 0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.