Rapids Re-Sign Defender Marvell Wynne
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Tuesday, January 8, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids announced on Tuesday that the club has re-signed Marvell Wynne, a 26-year-old defender and seven-year MLS veteran, to a new contract. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Marvell has proven himself to be an important part of our core group as we move forward, and we're pleased to have signed him to a new deal," said Technical Director Paul Bravo. "His speed and versatility make him an asset to our defense, and he continues to develop as a player every year."
"I'm happy to have signed a new deal with the Rapids, and excited to continue my career here in Colorado," said Wynne. "I've enjoyed being part of this club since I arrived in 2010, and am looking forward to getting the season started and having a successful year."
Wynne, 26, came to the Rapids in a trade just before the 2010 regular season, switching his position from right back to center back when arriving in Colorado. Known as one of the fastest players in MLS, he has played 84 regular season games for the Rapids, as well as every minute of the postseason in both 2010, when the team won MLS Cup, and 2011. He played for Toronto FC from 2007-2009 and for the New York Red Bulls in 2006 and 2007; in his MLS career, Wynne has 180 appearances (173 starts), with two goals and 15 assists.
The Poway, Calif. native has made five appearances with the United States Men's National Team, earning his first cap in 2007 in a Gold Cup match against Argentina, and was also a member of the U.S. team at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in Holland. He played two seasons of college soccer at UCLA, earning first team All-American honors in 2005.
The Rapids will start preseason on January 17, and are set to participate in the Desert Friendlies presented by Tucson FC and the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on February 15 as part of their preparations. To purchase season tickets for the Rapids' 2013 campaign, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 8, 2013
- Marco Schallibaum Announces Coaching Staff - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Duo Named to Honduras National Team Camp Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Cam Weaver - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Re-Sign Defender Marvell Wynne - Colorado Rapids
- Martinez Called in to Honduras National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Steven Evans as Second Homegrown Player - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Announce Samuel Archer as Winner of Open Tryout - Chicago Fire
- Three Players Sign New Contracts as Preseason Start Nears - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Lloyd Sam to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Formally Introduce New Head Coach Caleb Porter at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Tickets to Sounders FC vs. Tigres Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ryan Nelsen Named Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Names Brent Erwin Assistant Coach - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Annandale Boys & Girls Club and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Parts Ways with Mariner - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.