Rapids Defender Diego Calderón out 4-5 Months After Knee Surgery
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Thursday, March 28, 2013) - Colorado Rapids defender Diego Calderón is expected to miss 4-5 months after undergoing microfracture surgery on his right knee on Thursday in Denver. Calderón, who started each of the Rapids' first four games in defense, underwent the procedure after suffering a knee injury during Saturday's match at the LA Galaxy.
The injury occurred in the first half of the Rapids' match at the Galaxy, when Calderón collided with the goalpost after clearing a scoring attempt off the goal line. He was replaced by defender Chris Klute in the 34th minute of the match. An offseason acquisition for the Rapids, Calderón came to the club from Liga de Quito in his native Ecuador, where he is also a member of his country's national team.
The Rapids return to Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City this Saturday to face off against the Portland Timbers at 4:00 p.m. MT, with a magnetic schedule and detachable Rapids car magnet available to fans leaving the stadium following the game. For more information, or to purchase tickets, call 303-825-GOAL or visit www.ColoradoRapids.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 28, 2013
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Academy Lose 3-2 to Coritiba FC in Final Group Stage Game at Dallas Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Andre Akpan from Colorado - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Acquire Conditional Draft Pick in Trade with New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Defender Diego Calderón out 4-5 Months After Knee Surgery - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Youth Update: March 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact U21 Will Not Play in Canadian Soccer League in 2013 - Montreal Impact
- Revs to be Tested by FCD's Balanced Attack - New England Revolution
- Jeld-Wen Field's Fieldturf Surface Earns Third Fifa 2-Star Certification - Portland Timbers
- Donovan Returns to the Galaxy, Ready to Contribute for Club and Country - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Mkungilwa Recalled by Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Announce New Partnership with Rush Soccer and Adidas - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Colorado Rapids Defender Drew Moor - MLS
- Chicago Fire Foundation Launches P.L.A.Y.S. Program - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.