Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Wednesday, November 24, 2010) - The Colorado Rapids had a busy afternoon of roster movements Wednesday resulting in the club making trades with both of Major League Soccer's 2011 expansion clubs, the Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
Defender Anthony Wallace, who was left unprotected by Colorado for today's MLS Expansion Draft, was selected by Portland with their fourth overall pick.
The Rapids then re-acquired Wallace from the Timbers in exchange for allocation money. Per club and league policies, terms of the allocation money were not disclosed.
As a result of having one of their players selected in the Expansion Draft, Colorado was able to pull back one additional player which the team used to protect midfielder Wells Thompson.
In another roster move, the Rapids acquired midfielder Sanna Nyassi from Vancouver in exchange for an international roster slot, leaving the club with six open international slots heading into the off-season.
Nyassi was the Whitecaps' first overall selection in today's Expansion Draft coming from the Seattle Sounders FC. He has appeared in 38 games with 16 starts for the Sounders during his two years in MLS and scored two goals and added three assists. A native of Bwiam, Gambia, Nyassi has two caps with the Gambia National Team and has scored one international goal.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.