Rapids Acquire Conditional Draft Pick in Trade with New York Red Bulls
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Thursday, March 28, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids announced today that the club has acquired a conditional 2015 draft pick in a trade with the New York Red Bulls, in exchange for forward Andre Akpan.
"We would like to thank Andre for what he gave to the Rapids since coming to the team ahead of the 2010 season," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "He scored some good goals for us and was a positive presence in the locker room over the last couple seasons, and we wish him the very best in New York."
Akpan was selected by the Rapids with the 22nd overall pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft after a stellar four-year career at Harvard University, where he set the school's scoring record and was the 2009 Ivy League Player of the Year. After making just one appearance in 2010, Akpan scored one goal in 12 games in 2011 and three goals in15 matches last season. Akpan had made just one appearance so far in 2013, coming in as a late substitute at FC Dallas in the season opener.
The Rapids return to Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City this Saturday to face off against the Portland Timbers at 4:00 p.m. MT, with a magnetic schedules and detachable Rapids car magnet available to fans leaving the stadium following the game. For more information, or to purchase tickets, call 303-825-GOAL or visit www.ColoradoRapids.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 28, 2013
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Academy Lose 3-2 to Coritiba FC in Final Group Stage Game at Dallas Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Andre Akpan from Colorado - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Acquire Conditional Draft Pick in Trade with New York Red Bulls - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Defender Diego Calderón out 4-5 Months After Knee Surgery - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Youth Update: March 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact U21 Will Not Play in Canadian Soccer League in 2013 - Montreal Impact
- Revs to be Tested by FCD's Balanced Attack - New England Revolution
- Jeld-Wen Field's Fieldturf Surface Earns Third Fifa 2-Star Certification - Portland Timbers
- Donovan Returns to the Galaxy, Ready to Contribute for Club and Country - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Mkungilwa Recalled by Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Announce New Partnership with Rush Soccer and Adidas - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Colorado Rapids Defender Drew Moor - MLS
- Chicago Fire Foundation Launches P.L.A.Y.S. Program - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.