Rapids Acquire 11th Overall SuperDraft Pick, Allocation Money, International Slot in Trade
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Wednesday, January 16, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids acquired allocation money, an international slot, and the 11th overall pick in Thursday's 2013 MLS SuperDraft in a trade with the Chicago Fire, sending midfielder Jeff Larentowicz and the 30th overall selection in this year's draft in exchange.
"Parting ways with Jeff was not an easy decision for us, but we gain a lot of roster flexibility with this trade, as well as the chance to get another young talent through the SuperDraft," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "I want to thank Jeff for all his hard work and dedication to the club over the last three seasons. We wish him the best in Chicago."
"We all appreciate Jeff's service to the Rapids, and his exceptional dedication and durability in his three seasons here in Colorado," said Rapids President Tim Hinchey. "We hope that he enjoys further success with the Fire and wish him well moving forward."
"I want to thank everyone in the Rapids organization, past and present, for three great years in Colorado," said Larentowicz. "I leave with no hard feelings and will always reflect fondly on our championship year. Over the course of my time with the Rapids, one constant has been the support from the fans throughout Colorado. I'll miss them and wish them all the best."
By acquiring the Fire's first round pick, the Rapids will now select 6th and 11th overall in tomorrow's 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis, as well as 25th overall (second round). Colorado had previously acquired the 30th overall pick in the draft (second round) from Chicago in the Wells Thompson trade, but now sends the selection back to the Fire. The international slot acquired by the Rapids is for the 2013 season.
Larentowicz, 29, played 96 regular season games for the Rapids, starting 95, since joining the team in 2010. He played in every game during the 2010 and 2011 regular seasons and playoffs, helping the Rapids to the 2010 MLS Cup. He set a career-high in scoring with a team-leading seven goals in 2011, and was an MLS All-Star in 2010. Before joining the Rapids, Larentowicz played five seasons with the New England Revolution, playing 101 games (93 starts), scoring nine goals and adding nine assists as the team made three MLS Cup appearances.
With the United States National Team, Larentowicz has made four appearances, including a pair of 1-0 wins last January over Venezuela and Panama. He made his debut in a 1-1 tie against Chile on January 22, 2011 and also played in a 1-0 loss at Belgium on September 6, 2011. A 2005 graduate of Brown University, Larentowicz was a four-time All-Ivy player in helping the Bears to two Ivy League titles, and was a two-time second team All-American.
The Rapids open preseason on Thursday with physicals, and will do fitness work on Friday and Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. The team is set to participate in the Desert Friendlies presented by Tucson FC and the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on February 15 as part of the preparations for the 2013 regular season. To purchase season tickets for the Rapids' 2013 campaign, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 16, 2013
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Burns: Revs "definitely wanted to pursue" top pick - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Acquire 4th Overall Pick and Allocation Money from New England - Toronto FC
- Chivas USA Has Second-Overall Pick in Thursday's 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Whitecaps FC Hold Two Top Ten Selections - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution Trades up for No. 1 Pick in Thursday's MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire 11th Overall SuperDraft Pick, Allocation Money, International Slot in Trade - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Jeff Larentowicz from Colorado - Chicago Fire
- Robbie Keane Signs Multi-Year Contract Extension - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Juninho to Return to the LA Galaxy in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- SuperDraft Preview: Reloading and Restocking - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Rights to FW Robbie Findley from Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Acquire Allocation from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for MLS Rights to Robbie Findley - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Set for Two Picks in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Houston Dynamo
- San Jose Earthquakes Hold Three Picks in Thursday's MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.