Rampage Win Third Game of Road Trip, Defeat Abbotsford 3-2
ABBOTSFORD, British Columbia (December 4, 2012) - Rampage defenseman Jason DeSantis recorded his first goal of the season just 35 seconds into overtime, as San Antonio (7-11-0-3) defeated the Abbotsford Heat, 3-2, Tuesday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. The Rampage have now won three of the first four games in their current road trip and four of their last five games in Abbotsford.
San Antonio netminder Jacob Markstom stopped 32 of 34 shots and made several spectacular saves down the stretch to keep the Rampage in the game and force overtime. Markstom has now won three-straight starts between the pipes for the Rampage.
In addition, Greg Rallo notched his fourth goal in as many games and his four-game goal streak tops the American Hockey League charts.
The Rampage took a 1-0 lead at 3:24 of the first period on Casey Wellman's first goal since Nov. 13. James Wright picked up an assist on the play, extending his point-scoring streak to four games on four assists.
The Heat (13-3-3-2), who lead the Western Conference with 31 points, owned the second-best power play in the league at home entering the contest (15-for-53; 28.3%) and cashed in with the man advantage at 6:18 of the first period to tie the game at 1-1. Abbotsford forward Roman Horak tipped a shot past Markstom for his team-leading 12th goal of the year.
Rallo reclaimed the lead for the Rampage at 15:22 of first period to extend his goal-scoring streak to four games. Defenseman Colby Robak also picked up an assist on the play to give the Rampage a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
Abbotsford took advantage of a Rampage turnover to tie the game, 2-2, at 10:37 of the second period. Max Reinhart lit the lamp on a shot from the left faceoff dot with Horak collecting the assist.
The Heat outshot the Rampage, 11-2, in the middle frame, but Markstrom kept the game tied with several acrobat saves. Markstrom made several more impressive saves late in the game, including a point-blank save on Ben Street with six minutes remaining in regulation, to help force overtime.
In overtime, the Rampage rushed up the ice on a 3-on-2 odd-man rush and Jon Rheault found DeSantis crashing the net. The Rampage defenseman made no mistake in placing the puck past Abbotsford goaltender Barry Brust.
San Antonio was outshot 34-17 on the night and went 0-for-2 on the power play, while Abbotsford went 1-for-5 with the man advantage.
The Rampage and Heat will meet again tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9 p.m. CT to wrap up the five-game road trip for the Silver and Black. The Rampage return home on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. for Salute to the Badges Night to kick off a two-game set with the Oklahoma City Barons.
Individual, and season, tickets start at $10 and can be purchased at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office, by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2012
- Feisty, Rested Whale Bounce back with 4-2 Victory - Connecticut Whale
- Sceviour Lifts Stars to OT Win over Admirals - Texas Stars
- Rivermen Squeak Past Griffins, 2-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Start Trip with Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Whale Defeats Sound Tigers 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Month of Giving Begins this Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- MacLeod Assigned to IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Look to Rebound this Week as They Embark on a Tough December Schedule - Rochester Americans
- Big Brothers/Sisters Skate with the Tigers Sunday, December 9 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- December 22 Whale Home Game Is "Military Appreciation Night" - AHL
- Fournier Reassigned to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Toy Drive to Benefit Toys for Tots Starts Friday - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Swap Players with Stingrays - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Weekly - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Weekly - 20 Games In - Adirondack Phantoms
- Heat Fall to Rampage in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Win Third Game of Road Trip, Defeat Abbotsford 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.