Rainiers Fall To Fresno, 10-3
TACOMA, Wash. -- The Tacoma Rainiers struggled to combat a strong pitching performance from the Fresno Grizzlies in a 10-3 loss at Cheney Stadium on Sunday.
Grizzlies starter Eric Hacker (4-0) fronted a staff that combined to hold the Rainiers to just four hits. The right-hander surrendered two runs on three hits over 6.2 innings, and retired the first 12 Tacoma batters he faced before a fielding error allowed Luis Jimenez to reach first base in the fifth.
Fresno took an insurmountable 6-0 lead after collecting six runs in the second inning. Shortstop Skyler Stromsmoe drew a bases-loaded walk that put the Grizzlies up 1-0 before catcher Eli Whiteside hit a three-run double that stretched Tacoma's deficit to four runs. Third baseman Conor Gillaspie rounded out the inning with a two-run home run.
Tacoma catcher Brandon Bantz belted a solo home run in the sixth inning - his first Triple-A hit - to give the Rainiers their first run of the day. The designated hitter Jimenez notched the club's third and final run after going deep with a one-run homer in the bottom of the ninth.
Starter Mauricio Robles (0-2) walked a season-high six batters and gave up four hits on the way to surrendering seven runs over 3.1 innings of action in defeat.
The Rainiers (7-11) play the third game of the team's four-game series with Fresno (14-4) at 7:05 p.m. on Monday, April 23. Seattle native Forrest Snow (0-2, 6.43) is scheduled to get the nod for Tacoma against right-hander Andrew Kown (2-0, 2.20) for the Grizzlies.
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter ( @RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Bees Whip Pads, 16-1 - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Take Sunday Marathon, 11-10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Outlast 'Hawks 11-10 in 14 Innings for Sixth Straight Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Fall To Fresno, 10-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Carter's Three-Homer Day Lifts Cats to 12-4 Win over Reno - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Top Aces, 12-4 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock's Hitting Overpowers Zephyrs 10-0 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Storm Chasers Squeeze Past the Sounds on Sunday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Powers Past New Orleans 10-0 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Losing Skid Hits Seven with 2-1 Loss in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Stellar Rusin Lifts Iowa to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Recall Pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson win over Salt Lake - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers' Series Opener Foiled By Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Walk to London' Arrives in Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Storm Chasers Defeat the Sounds, 6-5, in 13 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bullpen Struggles in Loss to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Lose Extra-Inning Contest in Omaha, 6-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Parker, Bullpen Combine for Two-Hitter; River Cats Beat Aces, 6-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Blanked by River Cats, 6-0 - Reno Aces
- 'Topes Win Fifth Straight with 6-1 Victory Over RedHawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.