August 30, 2017 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) - Chicago Sky
Highlights of Chicago Sky in loss to Dallas Wings,
Courtney Vandersloot posts 15 points & 12 assists vs. the Wings
- With her tenth assist, Courtney Vandersloot set a career high in assists in a single season. It came at the 3:24 mark in the 4th quarter. Her previous high was 198 set in 2015.
- Stefanie Dolson dished out a career high in assists in tonight's game with 9. Her previous high was 8, which she had reached last weekend on 8/18 vs. Los Angeles.
- Kahleah Copper set a career high for most points in a single season with 189 points. Her three-point shot at the 9:15 mark in the third quarter gave her the record. She finished 2016 with 187 points.
- Jessica Breland, Allie Quigley and Stefanie Dolson all finished with 20+ points tonight. This is the second time the trio has done that this season. The last time they all finished with 20 points or more was on 7/16 against Dallas, which went to 2OT.
- Courtney Vandersloot picked up her 11th double-double on the season. After going three straight games without one, she finished tonight's game with 15 points and 12 assists.
- The Sky set a season high in team assists tonight with 33. Their previous high was 31, which they have hit 3 times against Minnesota (7/8), Dallas (7/12) and Los Angeles (8/18).
- With tonight's win the Wings have clinched for the 2017 WNBA playoffs. It is the first playoff berth for the team since moving to the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- Dallas has now won consecutive games for only the third time this year. They won back to back on August 4 and 6 against Seattle and Los Angeles and also won four in a row at the end of June.
- The Wings set a new season high in offensive rebounds with 20. Their previous high before tonight was 18, which also came against the Sky on 7/16, which went to 2OT.
- The Wings tied a season high in field goals made with 35 in tonight's game. They previously set their high mark on 7/16 vs. Chicago, which went into 2OT.
- The Wings 40 total is the fifth time this season the team has boarded up 40+ It is also the 22nd time this season they have recorded 30+ boards in a game.
CHICAGO SKY QUOTES
General Manager and Head Coach Amber Stocks
"Tough outcome to a very intense game in which we fought for very hard. The players did many things very well offensively, we shot almost 60% from the field, 45% from the three-point line, but 20 offensive rebounds from the opponent is significantly debilitating to any team."
"Well there are a couple things that play into rebounds, and obviously, it starts with staying in defensive position and not being in rotation. Second level to that is when the shot does go up everybody must check and box out. The third level to that would be to releasing jumping and securing the rebound. "
(On motivating team moving forward...)
"Well you have heard me say it before, these guys are extremely intrinsically motivated. They play very hard every practice, every game and every possession. The motivation element is easy, that is the simple part. Some of the strategic things that we can do and some of the X's and O's things that we will do, will be our focus, which has been our focus throughout the course of the season."
(On Strategy in the last 2:03 in the 4th...)
"Well we have proven that we can get stops and so not only in this game but in games past, we've gotten stops down the stretch and LA was another great example where we chose to just pull up our shorts and get a stop. It has worked. The strategy behind that, generally speaking, is that timeouts favor the defense not the offense and vice versa. Getting stops and not fouling when a team is looking over their shoulders, and they didn't really have anything clearly setup, which is the call we went with. I trust our defense. I trust our ability to get defensive stops."
Center Stefanie Dolson
(On Fate in another team's hands...)
"We have to hope for the best. Whatever happens and we just have to focus on ourselves and the next game."
(On Dallas win clinching playoffs, change mindset...)
"No, we didn't really think about that, coming into this game we just focused on ourselves and our game plan. We were trying to control our own destiny and weren't really worrying about theirs."
(On difference in the rebounding game...)
"They were just more physical. They got a lot of the scrap balls. I think we tried to do our best but like Coach said we were in rotation, guards on posts, posts on guards, and they just got more than us."
Guard Allie Quigley
"It's one game at a time, anyone can beat anyone so we are going to go in confident and not really worry about what going to happen with Seattle. Just worry about us and hope for the best with that game."
(On offensive game plan...)
"I think we were trying to get out in transition. They are really physical, in general they are really physical. We wanted to stick to our game plan and what we do best which is transition, attacking them and making them guard us."
(On defensive mindset containing Diggins-Smith and Johnson...)
"They are the main snakes when everyone is playing against them, and eliminate what they want to do then you have a better chance of winning. We talked about it but we did not do it as well as we should have. They did what they wanted to do, unfortunately."
DALLAS WINGS QUOTES
Head Coach Fred Williams
(On the win...)
"I've said all along, we're a relentless team, we don't give up. We were down by 13 at one point in the first half. I told them at half time, just stay with it, keep pushing the ball and make plays on defense."
(On his message to his team in the final moments...)
"I just told them keep that composure, look to get a shot, if we don't get a shot then let's get a second rebound, and bring it out and make them play defense. That game could have gone either way. It was a good game. It came down to rebounding at the end."
Guard Skylar Diggins-Smith
(On securing a playoff position...)
"Chicago's a tough team, we've had our battles, and they play well at home, so we're just glad to have punched our ticket. Obviously we have one game left, which is still a big game for us... Everyone is just so excited. Especially with it being our second year, and we have half of a new team this year. We had our struggles early, but the postseason is different. It's a race - it's 0-0. The last time the team was in the postseason, I tore my ACL. This will be my first playoff experience, and I'm very happy about that.
(On what the team looks to clean up heading into last game and postseason...)
"Sharpening our tools, specifically defense, transition, we just have to lock down. It's going to be tough, physical basketball. We just have to be ready for the challenge. It's a great opportunity for us to compete, it doesn't matter who we face."
Forward Glory Johnson
(On making the playoffs...)
"It's a first time experience for me. I've been playing in this league for many years and have never made the playoffs. The last time the team made the playoffs, I was pregnant. I'm really excited."
(On what the team needs to carry over...)
"Just having fun out there. Even when we made mistakes tonight, we stayed together. I think that was the best part. A lot of teams break down. We've broken down before, but we forgot about it, stayed together, and tried to make another push. We just built off of ourselves, and I like that, we need to carry that over.