Piccinich Scores, But Solar Bears Drop Decision to Everblades
ORLANDO, Fla. - J.J. Piccinich scored in the second period, but the Orlando Solar Bears (20-21-5-1) surrendered their lead to the Florida Everblades in the third (32-9-1-4) before falling by a 3-1 score in the ninth Wawa Sunshine Cup Series game of the season on Wednesday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
The Solar Bears remain in fourth place (46 points) in the South Division. Orlando remains seven points behind Atlanta for third place, with four games in hand; The Solar Bears are ahead of fifth-place Greenville by two points with one game in hand on the Swamp Rabbits.
Orlando: J.J. Piccinich (Joshua Winquist, Mike Monfredo)
Goaltender: Mackenzie Skapski (23/25)
Florida: Joe Cox (Mitchell Heard, Stephen MacAulay), Matt Berry (Justin Kea, Clark Seymour), Quentin Shore [EN]
Goaltender: Martin Ouellette (29/30)
ON THE SCORESHEET
J.J. Piccinich tallied his 10th goal of the season at 6:18 of the second period when he snapped a shot past the glove of Martin Ouellette. Piccinich now has a two-game point streak (2g-2a).
Joshua Winquist picked up the primary assist on Piccinich's goal, and now has a two-game point streak (2g-1a).
Mike Monfredo earned the secondary assist on Piccinich's goal, and now has a two-game assist streak (4a).
Mackenzie Skapski took the loss, making 23 saves on 25 shots against.
Florida appeared to take an initial 1-0 lead in the second period when John McCarron had apparently scored just 1:27 into the frame; the goal was negated due to goaltender interference.
Several players tied for the team lead for Orlando with three shots on goal.
The Solar Bears welcome the Wheeling Nailers back to Orlando for the first time since the 2012-13 season on Friday, Feb. 9 at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center at 7 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Matt Berry - FLA
2) Martin Ouellette - FLA
3) Mackenzie Skapski - ORL
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 7, 2018
- Icemen Top Swamp Rabbits on the Road - Jacksonville Lizard Kings
- Steelheads Ground Eagles in Loveland - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Score Four Unanswered to Top Eagles 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Piccinich Scores, But Solar Bears Drop Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cuddemi Scores Twice in Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Wings Offense Sizzles in Win over Oilers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Dazzle Late with 3-2 Overtime Winner over Royals on Home Ice - Worcester Railers HC
- No Shortage of Scoring as Wings Top Oilers 9-6 - Tulsa Oilers
- Strong Third Period Leads 'Blades Past Orlando 3-1 - Florida Everblades
- 3-2 OT Loss Nets Reading Sole Possession of Second Place in North - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 7 - ECHL
- Rush Win First Morning Home Game in Team History - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Hall of Fame Defenseman Sam Ftorek Comes out of Retirement, Signs with Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day Storylines at Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
- Wichita Continues Road Trip Tonight vs. Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- The Zombies Are Coming - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Has 26 Former Players, Five Officials in 2018 Winter Olympics - ECHL
- Police vs. Fire Quickly Approaching - Wichita Thunder
- Gudbranson Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp to be Held at CenturyLink Arena - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna to Step Down - ECHL
- Preview: Boosted Royals Look to Move 14 Points Ahead of Railers - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.