Phillies Sign Beach Bums Lefty Jared Locke
TRAVERSE CITY - The Traverse City Beach Bums have announced that left-handed pitcher Jared Locke as inked a contract with the Philadelphia Phillies of the National League.
Locke is a 6'6" 225-pounder from Inman, South Carolina, who signed with the Beach Bums last summer after being released by the Texas Rangers organization. In 21 appearances out of the Beach Bums' bullpen, Locke went 1-1 with a 3.42 ERA in 23.2 innings with 17 walks, 25 strikeouts, and 2 saves while holding opponents to a .218 average. Locke's successful summer in Traverse City included a stretch from July 16th through August 19th where he pitched 17.2 innings without surrendering an earned run.
"We are very excited for Jared to have this opportunity," said Jason Wuerfel, the Beach Bums' Director of Baseball Operations. "He is a 6'6" lefty, throws in the low 90s with great movement, and he is only 23 years old. The sky is the limit for Jared and I believe he will be successful anywhere the Phillies put him."
Locke was originally signed by the Texas Rangers after he finished his senior season at Newberry College in 2006. That summer, Locke pitched for the Arizona League Rangers, going 3-4 with a 4.56 ERA in 47.1 innings with 22 walks and 40 strikeouts while holding opponents to a .275 average. The next summer Locke was promoted to class low-A Clinton in the Midwest League, but was released after only pitching 9.1 innings.
Frontier League Stories from February 25, 2008
- Two New Players Join Two Returning ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Phillies Sign Beach Bums Lefty Jared Locke - Traverse City Beach Bums
- RiverHawks Announce Exhibition Schedule - Rockford RiverHawks
- Riverside Bank To Host Kids Club Kickoff Saturday - Rockford RiverHawks
- RiverHawks Sign Two - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rockford College To Return For 2008 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Pennant Veteran McEachran Joins Coaching Staff - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Renew Radio Deal With 97.7 The Bear - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.