Pettibone Pitches BlueClaws Past Intimidators 5-2
LAKEWOOD, NJ =3F Jonathan Pettibone and the Lakewood BlueClaws recorded eight 1-2-3 innings in a nine inning contest in a tremendous display of pitching as they downed the Kannapolis Intimidators 5-2 in game one of the final four game series of the season.
Pettibone (8-6) did not allow a baserunner through 4.2 innings and struck out five of the first six batters he faced as he went seven innings, was charged with two earned runs and stuck out seven in the win. Kyle Carr pitched a clean eighth and Mike McGuire got the final three outs for his fifth save of the season.
Against starter Ryan Buch, making his professional debut in the state of New Jersey where he pitched in college for three season at Monmouth University, the BlueClaws (40-26) worked single runs in against him in the third and fourth inning to take a 2-0 lead. In the sixth, after a leadoff walk, Jonathan Singleton doubled to left and back-to-back sacrifice flies made it four earned off Buch (5-3) in six innings with five strikeouts. Jake Petricka allowed a run in the seventh and Matt Hopps worked a clean eighth.
The Intimidators (33-34) got their first hit of the game on a slow roller to the left side off the bat of Jordan Cheatham in the fifth, followed by a shallow pop into center that fell between the middle infielders to put runners at second and third. John Spatola smashed one back up the middle and plated two runners for the Intimidators lone runs of the game.
On Saturday, the second game of the series will feature the final start for Matt Wickswat as he takes on Julio Rodriguez at 7:05 pm at FirstEnergy Park.
South Atlantic League Stories from September 3, 2010
- Gnats Win Fourth Straight - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Hagerstown wins over West Virginia - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Jump Out Early, Dump R'Dogs, 6-2 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Slow Drive with 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Six-Run First Inning Lifts GreenJackets to 10-3 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Drop Tough One to Crawdads, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Rome Edges Legends 1-0; Towles Inducted into Legends Hall of Fame - Lexington Legends
- Cavan's Four-Hit Night Leads Charge in Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pettibone, Claws Win Third in a Row 5-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pettibone Pitches BlueClaws Past Intimidators 5-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Unveil 2011 Season Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Mahoney Placed on DL; Toussen Transferred to Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Game Notes: Friday, September 3 Vs. Asheville - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Seesaw Battle in Lexington Swings Towards Legends - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Hall of Fame Ceremony Friday Night - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.