Peterson Promoted to Jackson, Wiswall Released from Contract
JACKSON, TENN. - The Seattle Mariners have announced the following roster moves that affect the Generals roster. INF D.J. Peterson has been promoted from Hi-A High Desert to the Generals roster and INF Mickey Wiswall has been released from his Minor League Contract. Peterson is rated by most publications as the top position player prospect in the Seattle Mariners' organization. He was the 12th overall pick in the 2013 draft of out of New Mexico. The moves are made prior to tonight's series opener with the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m..
Activated from A+ High Desert:
INF D.J. Peterson
Released from Minor League Contract:
INF Mickey Wiswall
Peterson, 22, in 65 games for High Desert batted .326 (89x273) with 23 doubles, 1 triple, 18 home runs, 73 RBI and 6 stolen bases. Peterson has hit 15 of his 18 home runs this season in his last 36 games (since 5/11). Peterson has hit safely in each of his last 10 games with 8 mutli-hit efforts, batting .442 (19x43) with 11 runs scored, 7 doubles, 6 home runs, 22 RBI, 5 walks and 1 stolen bases. He has also hit safely 20 of his last 21 games, batting .424 (39x92) with 22 runs scored, 13 doubles, 9 home runs, 35 RBI, 11 walks and 2 stolen bases. Since May 8, he is batting .363 (61x168) with 35 runs scored, 19 doubles, 16 home runs, 57 RBI, 17 walks and 4 stolen bases. During this stretch he has raised his season batting average from .267 to .367. Peterson has won two California League Hitter of the Week honors.
Peterson played 3 seasons at the University of New Mexico (2011-13) and was named the2012 and 2013 Mountain West Male Athlete of the Year...named Mountain West Co-Player of the Year with teammate Mitch Garver in 2013 (also earned honor in 2012)...won the MW overall triple crown in 2012 and 2013...a semifinalist for the 2013 Golden Spikes and Dick Howser awards...National Collegiate Baseball Writers' Association's (NCBWA) District VIII Player of the Year...named to the Baseball America, Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball and American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings All-America first teams, as well as the NCBWA second team...selected by the Mariners as the 12th pick in the first round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft, marking the highest draft choice in Lobo baseball history.
Wiswall, 25, batted .217 (36x166) with 5 doubles, 5 home runs and 16 RBIs in 45 games for the Generals. Wiswall missed all of the 2013 season with a torn hamstring. The Stoneham, MA native was Seattle's 7th round draft choice in 2010 out of Boston College.
The Generals roster stands at 25 active players with 13 pitchers, 12 position players and 4 on the disabled list.. Click on each player for stats and biographical information.
Southern League Stories from June 24, 2014
- Two Thomas HRs Push BayBears Past Suns 9-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Outslug Wahoos 14-10 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Best M-Braves 6-3 in Front of Sellout Crowd at Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Peraza to Appear in Futures Game - Mississippi Braves
- Tim Adleman Returns to Wahoos - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Robert Stephenson, Jesse Winker Selected to SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Blue Wahoos Plan WWE Night with the Uso Brothers - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Northcraft to Gwinnett, Ross to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Black to New Orleans; Dayleg to Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Peterson Promoted to Jackson, Wiswall Released from Contract - Jackson Generals
- Celebrate Independence Day Weekend with the Suns Starting July 4th - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- BayBears Drop Finale to Biscuits 7-5 - Mobile BayBears
- Huntsville Defeats Pensacola, 6-2, to Take Series - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Outlast BayBears in Rainy Win - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.