by Joshua Russell
October 25, 2016 - American Hockey League (AHL)
Our Sports Central asked minor league executives across the country to participate in a short questionnaire about themselves. We will feature their responses every Tuesday.
This week's 10 questions are with Mark Caswell Jr. He is currently the Vice President of Communications for the AHL's Utica Comets. Mr. Caswell has been with the Comets since they were founded in 2013 as he was hired to be the Director of Communications.
1. What was your first job in the sports industry? I was a stats analyst for ESPN in Bristol, CT.
2. What was the last app you downloaded? The new ESPN Fantasy app
3. What was the first job you ever had? I had a paper route and refereed youth hockey games from ages 11-16.
4. What is currently your favorite song? Monster, by Skillet, always seems to get the blood pumping and get me dialed in when I need to get going. So I'll go with that.
5. What is the last thing you watched on Netflix? Stranger Things. It was awesome!
6. What is the best advice you have ever received? Just keep trucking. It sounds cliché, but it's true. When things get tough, just put your head down and go. No matter what the obstacle is, if you keep trucking you'll get through it.
7. What is the last book you read? 11/22/63, by Stephen King. One of my favorite books. I've read it several times.
8. What is one unique or quirky habit that you have? It is a pretty boring answer, but I have to write everything down. It helps me make sure I stay on top of everything.
9. What advice would you give someone who wants to work in the sports industry? It is a very demanding, but rewarding industry. You have to be willing to work extremely long hours, and have to be a "self-starter". As grueling as the job is, make sure you enjoy the experiences. Take a minute to look around and enjoy what you helped create.
10. Who was your role model growing up?
Joe Sakic. I admired how he led by example, rather than talking about it and screaming and yelling. He seemed to always be able to do and say the right thing. I think that is extremely admirable, and rare, trait to possess.