Oriole Outfielder Luke Scott to Rehab in Delmarva
Salisbury, MD - The Baltimore Orioles announced on Sunday that Orioles designated hitter and left fielder Luke Scott will make two rehab starts with the Delmarva Shorebirds and Monday, May 25th and Tuesday, May 26th at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium. Scott is recovering from a strained left shoulder that he suffered when he slid head first into first base on a pickoff attempt against the New York Yankees on May 10th.
Scott was placed on the 15-day Disabled List on May 16th, retro-active to May 11th. He is expected to return to the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday, May 26th, following his rehab assignment in Delmarva.
The 30-year old, from DeLand, Florida had been a consistent asset in the Orioles order prior to the injury. Through 29 games, he was hitting .303 with five home runs and 15 RBI. Scott ranks third on the Orioles in slugging percentage (.515), batting average (.303) and fifth in home runs.
In 2008, Scott hit .257 in 148 games for the Orioles. He blasted a career best 23 home runs and drove in a career high 65 RBI. Scott was named the American League Player of the Week for the week ending on July 20th, when he hit .538 (7-13) with three home runs and six RBI.
Scott was acquired from the Houston Astros in December of 2007 in the trade that sent Miguel Tejada to the Astros. The Orioles also received Troy Patton, Matt Albers, Dennis Sarfate and Mike Costanzo.
The former Oklahoma State University star was selected in the 9th round of the 2001 First Year Player Draft by the Cleveland Indians. In 2004, he was traded to the Astros along with the rights to Rule 5 Willy Taveras in exchange for Jerome Robertson.
On Monday, May 24th, Luke Scott and the Shorebirds play the series finale against the Kannapolis Intimidators at 7:05 PM. On Tuesday, May 25th, Scott will help the Shorebirds begin a four-game series against the Hickory Crawdads. First pitch is also scheduled for 7:05 PM.
Tomorrow is also another Monday Madness Night, where all fans can purchase the MADNESS package of (1) general admission ticket and (1) small hot dog and soda for just $5!
For tickets and more information, contact the Delmarva Shorebirds at 410-219-3112 or vist the Shorebirds online at www.theshorebirds.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 25, 2009
- Delmarva completes sweep with 4-3 win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Stall Hot Rods, 4-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Set Strikeout Mark in Win over Suns - Hickory Crawdads
- Legends win second straight in Savannah 2-1 - Lexington Legends
- Kelly Outduels Spruill in Matchup of Sally League's Top Pitchers - Greenville Drive
- Hagerstown Fans 17 Times In 6-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Gnats Drop Pithcer's Duel, 2-1 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Crawdads blank Suns, 6-0, to win series - Hickory Crawdads
- Jackets Win Holiday Matinee 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Clobber Captains - West Virginia Power
- Big Innings Send BlueClaws Past Grasshoppers - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Greenville out hits Rome - Rome Braves
- Oriole Outfielder Luke Scott to Rehab in Delmarva - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.