Omar Vizquel to Manage Bees
Burlington, IA - Former Major League great, Omar Vizquel, will be a fill-in manager for the Burlington Bees during the June 20-23 home stand at Community Field, it was announced today. Manager, Jamie Burke, will be on leave to visit his family in Oregon and will return to his regular duties when the Bees travel to Cedar Rapids on June 25.
Considered one of the greatest fielding shortstops of all time, Vizquel was hired by the Angels this past off-season as an infield roving instructor. He played for six different teams in his amazing 24-year Major League career which ended just last year. Vizquel was an 11-time Gold Glove winner and 3-time All-Star selection. He finished his career with 2,877 hits, which ranks 40th all-time. His 2,968 games played ranks 12th all-time.
Other highlights of the 4-game home stand against Clinton includes:
Thursday, June 20 will be Thirsty Thursday. Enjoy drink specials on Pepsi products and select beer!
Friday, June 21 will be Superman Night. Come out and help us celebrate the release of the new Superman movie!
The first 500 fans through the gate on Saturday, June 22 will receive a 2013 Bees Baseball Card Set
All kids and coaches in uniform get in free on Sunday, June 23 on the annual Little League Recognition Day!
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2013
- Chiefs Blank LumberKings, 4-0 - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Bounce Back To Avoid Sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bowling Green Completes Series Sweep with 7-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Winning Streak Ends at Seven - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Clinch Playoff Spot - Beloit Snappers
- White keeps on rolling in 5-1 Lugnuts victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Floro Shines in Sweep-Clinching Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Hand Bees 4-1 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Weickel Cruises as TinCaps Stay Hot at Home - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin gets split with 2-1 win in game two - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Scott, Almora Handle Bees - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Hold on for 4-1 Win - Lake County Captains
- Beloit beats Wisconsin in game one - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: June 16-18 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts Announce Roster Move - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Spend Father's Day Weekend with the Captains - Lake County Captains
- Omar Vizquel to Manage Bees - Burlington Bees
- Missed Opportunities Lead To Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels Clinch Playoff Spot with Win over Bandits - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.