Oilers Earn a Point in Overtime Loss to Walleye
TOLEDO, OH - The Tulsa Oilers clawed back from two third period deficits Sunday, but fell 3-2 in overtime to the Toledo Walleye at the Huntington Center, as the Oilers winless skid reached six games.
The Oilers outshot the Walleye 12-6 in the opening period, with no scoring for either side. Tulsa goaltender P.J. Musico stopped six Toledo shots, while Walleye goalie Jake Paterson made 12 saves. Neither team managed to score on a lone power play opportunity in the frame.
Toledo scored 30 seconds into the second period, when Landon Oslanski sent a shot from the left point through a screen and into the net to make it 1-0. Paterson stopped all nine Oilers shots in the frame to keep his shutout alive through 40 minutes, as the Walleye carried the narrow advantage into the third.
Tulsa defenseman Dennis Brown blasted a shot past Paterson 4:27 into the third period to tie the game at 1-1, but Zach Nastasiuk answered 1:20 later to put Toledo back in front. Alexandre Ranger found the net for the Oilers with 4:45 remaining in regulation as the game reached overtime.
The Walleye picked up their fifth power play early in the overtime period, and finally cashed in when Tylor Spink scooped up a loose puck on a rebound and fired it in past Musico to give Toledo the win.
UP NEXT: The Oilers travel to Allen, Texas next Friday and Saturday for two meetings with the Allen Americans at the Allen Event Center. Both games can be heard on www.tulsaoilers.com (Listen Live), or viewed on ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:50pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 19, 2017
- Defenseman Justin Hamonic Returns to Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Adirondack Defeats Atlanta 6-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mallards Clinch Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Earn a Point in Overtime Loss to Walleye - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Survives Epic Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Fuel Explode for Six First-Period Goals; Hang on for 8-7 Win over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Jackals Top the Nailers 6-5 in Overtime - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Earn Six of Eight Points on Road Trip - Wheeling Nailers
- Fucale Slams the Door as Beast Shut out Komets - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 19 - ECHL
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot 3-19-17 - Wheeling Nailers
- GAMEDAY - ADIRONDACK (32-20-5-4) vs. ATLANTA - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Upend Aces in Shootout Saturday - Alaska Aces
- Recap: Cyclones Break out the Brooms in Alaska - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Rally Falls Short - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Power Past 'Blades in Third Period for 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Third Period Haunts Thunder in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Zahn's Gordie Howe Hat Trick Propels Colorado to 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Beast Move Back into First Place with Big Win over Elmira - Brampton Beast
- Rays Surge Past Greenville in 7-5 Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Power Play Comes Alive for Solar Bears in 5-3 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.