OF Matt Carson promoted from Trenton to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
(Trenton, NJ)- The Trenton Thunder, Double A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that OF Matt Carson has been promoted from Trenton to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Triple-A). OF Edwar Gonzalez has been added to the Thunder roster from Tampa (High-A).
Carson had a .277 BA for the Thunder in 27 games with 5 HR and 26 RBI. He was 2nd in the Eastern League in RBI, T-3rd in XBH (16) and T-1st in 3B (4). Last season, Carson hit .248 for the Thunder in 129 games with 16 HR and 76 RBI. He was named the Eastern League Post-season MVP after leading Trenton to its first Eastern League Championship. Carson also played for the Thunder in 2006 and 2005. He hit .256 in 29 games for the Thunder in 2006, with 2 HR and 9 RBI. And, he had a .192 BA for the Thunder in 28 games in 2005. Carson was originally selected by the Yankees in the 5th round of the 2002 draft from BYU.
Gonzalez had a .279 BA for Tampa in 27 games with 6 HR and 18 RBI. He was T-1st in the Florida State League in HR, T-1st in 2B (11), 1st in XBH (18), and 3rd in Slugging Percentage (.559). Last season, Gonzalez hit .259 in 131 games for Tampa with 9 HR and 68 RBI. He led Tampa last season in hits (134), doubles (27) and RBI. He was originally signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent (6/12/02).
The Thunder play the middle game of a three-game series against the Portland Sea Dogs, the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, tonight at Waterfont Park. RHP Jason Jones (4-0, 2.61) starts for Trenton against Portland LHP Kris Johnson (2-1, 4.94). Game time is set for 7:05 p.m. To purchase tickets call 609-394-3300 or order online at www.trentonthunder.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 3, 2008
- Trenton rallies for 6-3 win over Portland on Saturday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Gimenez Drives in Pair, But Aeros Fall 6-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs feel the Thunder again, lose in Trenton 6-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Leadoff Men Lead Berken to Second Win - Bowie Baysox
- Klosterman, Snider bang HRs in 6-4 loss to Rock Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats win 6-4 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Harrisburg can't overcome early deficit - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve doubleheader postponed Saturday - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves and Curve Postponed - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Connecticut Hammers B-Mets - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Head activated - Akron RubberDucks
- Defenders Win Big 19-5 - Connecticut Defenders
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve...Doubleheader...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- OF Matt Carson promoted from Trenton to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - Trenton Thunder
- VanAllen and Zinicola to Harrisburg - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.