Odorizzi Named International League Player of the Week
DURHAM, NC - Durham Bulls right-hander Jake Odorizzi has been named International League Pitcher of the Week for the period from April 29 - May 5. The Rays' No. 3 prospect threw 7.0 innings of hit-less baseball to lead a combined no-hit effort yesterday, recording just the second no-hitter in the Bulls' International League history. After Vince Belnome's Batter of the Week effort last week, Durham has now notched two consecutive Player of the Week awards.
Odorizzi, a Breese, IL native, won twice last week without surrendering a run, etching his name in the Durham Bulls record books along the way by being part of the club's second-ever no-hitter in Triple-A Baseball. On Monday, Odorizzi tossed 5.0 scoreless innings in a 5-0 victory at Syracuse, striking out six without allowing a walk on four hits. Yesterday in Pawtucket, he was unhittable for 7.0 frames, overcoming four walks and exiting after throwing 95 pitches. Relievers Frank De Los Santos, Kirby Yates, and Jeff Beliveau combined to stifle the PawSox the rest of the way to give the Bulls their first no-hitter since Jason Hamel and Juan Salas combined to beat Columbus 2-1 on July 16, 2006. Now 3-0 on the season, Odorizzi is tied for 1st in the League with 39 strikeouts and is 5th with an opponent's batting average of .178.
The 23-year-old Odorizzi is in his sixth professional season and his first with the Tampa Bay organization after being included in last December's trade of James Shield and Wade Davis. Odorizzi made his MLB debut last season with Kansas City, going 0-1 in two outings.
The Durham Bulls begin an eight game homestand tonight against the Syracuse Chiefs. Tickets for all home games are available the DBAP box office, by calling 919.956.BULL or at durhambulls.com.
International League Stories from May 6, 2013
- Red Wings Lose Pitching Duel in Toledo Monday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Indianapolis Ends SWB's Winning Streak - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Maya Dominates in Chiefs' Win - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bulls Suffer Shutout Loss to Open Homestand - Durham Bulls
- G-Braves Continue Skid, Fall to Pawtucket - Gwinnett Braves
- Sox Hit Road To Return To Winning Track - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Clippers Game Postponed - Columbus Clippers
- Breslow Recalled to Boston, Bailey Lands on DL - Pawtucket Red Sox
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Viciedo Set to Begin Rehab with Knights Tonight in Columbus - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Norfolk at Buffalo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Almonte Takes IL Player of the Week Award - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- First Ever Puppypalooza at Huntington Park - Columbus Clippers
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Odorizzi Named International League Player of the Week - Durham Bulls
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.