NWSL and Fox Sports Media Group Announce 2013 National TV Schedule
MORRISTOWN, NJ (June 13, 2013) - The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced today the 2013 national TV schedule with FOX Sports Media Group to offer exclusive live coverage of nine matches, featuring six regular-season matches and all three playoff matches, which include the two semifinal games on August 24 and the championship game on August 31.
FOX Soccer is set to televise one game per week over the final six weeks of the season with each club appearing at least once on national television, leading up to the NWSL Playoffs.
Beginning on July 14 at 8:30 PM ET, FOX Soccer launches its national coverage with an East vs. West matchup between the Seattle Reign FC and Washington Spirit. Megan Rapinoe and Hope Solo look to propel the Reign up the standings as they take on Canadian international Diana Matheson and fellow U.S. teammates Lori Lindsey, Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris at Starfire Stadium. The two teams square-off again in a rematch on August 10 at the Maryland SoccerPlex, also live on FOX Soccer at 7:00 PM ET.
Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd of the Western New York Flash face an early test to defend their championship mettle on July 21 at 1:30 PM ET against Sky Blue FC's solid backline of U.S. National Team captain Christie Rampone. Then on August 17 at 8:00 PM ET, Wambach and co. battle against the Boston Breakers and fellow national team members Sydney Leroux and Heather O'Reilly in a final season push before the semifinal playoffs begin one week later on August 24 at 2:00 PM ET.
Star forwards Alex Morgan and Christine Sinclair have combined forces to give the Portland Thorns one of the most potent attacks in the league. The Chicago Red Stars, led by Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod and U.S. midfielder Shannon Boxx, have their work cut out for them at JELD-WEN Field, airing live on July 28 at 7:00 PM ET.
Portland, backed by one of the most passionate women's soccer fan bases in the country, returns to the national spotlight a week later to host FC Kansas City on August 4 at 8:30 PM ET in a marquee matchup between two of the top NWSL teams.
2013 NWSL National Television Schedule*
Date Home Team Away Team Time (ET) TV
Sunday, July 14 Seattle Reign FC Washington Spirit 8:30 p.m. FOX Soccer
Sunday, July 21 Western NY Flash Sky Blue FC 1:30 p.m. FOX Soccer
Sunday, July 28 Portland Thorns FC Chicago Red Stars 7 p.m. FOX Soccer
Sunday, Aug. 4 Portland Thorns FC FC Kansas City 8:30 p.m. FOX Soccer
Saturday, Aug. 10 Washington Spirit Seattle Reign FC 7 p.m. FOX Soccer
Saturday, Aug. 17 Western NY Flash Boston Breakers 8 p.m. FOX Soccer
Saturday, Aug. 24 Semifinal 2 p.m. TBD
Saturday, Aug. 24 Semifinal 8 p.m. TBD
Saturday, Aug. 31 Championship 8 p.m. TBD
*Subject to change
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 13, 2013
- FC Kansas City Shuts out Chicago - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Drop Match to FC Kansas City 2-0 - Chicago Red Stars
- Thorns FC Weekly Update - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Announces 2013 National TV Schedule - Chicago Red Stars
- Flash Call Up Amateur Forward Ashley Grove - Western New York Flash
- NWSL and Fox Sports Media Group Announce 2013 National TV Schedule - Sky Blue FC
- NWSL Announces 2013 National TV Schedule - FC Kansas City
- NWSL and FOX Sports Media Group Announce 2013 National TV Schedule - Seattle Reign FC
- Flash Announce Schedule Changes Due to Televised Games - Western New York Flash
- Thorns FC Announce Upcoming Televised Matches - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Announces National TV Schedule - NWSL
- FC Kansas City to Take On Chicago - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Make Roster Moves Ahead of Kansas City Series - Chicago Red Stars
- Flash Prepare For Well-rested Spirit Without Some Stars - Western New York Flash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.