Nunez advanced to Harrisburg
WOODBRIDGE, Va.- The Potomac Nationals announced today that pitcher Jhonny Nunez has been added to Double-A Harrisburg. In addition, Carlos Martinez has been sent down from the Senators to replace Nunez on Potomac's 25-man roster.
Nunez has been used primarily as a starter for the majority of the 2008 season. The right-hander was Potomac's Opening Day hurler and went winless in his first 14 games before recording a victory against the Winston-Salem Warthogs on June 18. Acquired by the Washington Nationals from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for Marlon Anderson in 2006, Nunez went 2-8 in 21 games with a 5.22 ERA while striking out 82 batters in 81 innings pitched.
The 22-year-old surrendered one run in four relief appearances with the P-Nats, but has notched three perfect innings with two strikeouts since his jump to the bullpen on June 11.
The Dominican-native is in his fifth season of professional baseball after spending two seasons with the Dominican Summer League Dodgers and one season with the Gulf Coast League Dodgers. Nunez spent the 2007 season with Low-A Hagerstown going 4-6 with a 4.05 ERA in 23 games.
Martinez rejoins the Nationals after appearing in one game with Triple-A Columbus Clippers and two with Harrisburg. The right-hander combined to allow just three hits in two scoreless innings against the Bowie Baysox during two outings at Commerce Bank Park in Harrisburg. The 24-year-old made 26 relief appearances with the P-Nats prior to his promotion on July 9 going 0-2 with two saves and posting a 3.35 ERA while striking out 39 in 51 innings on the mound. Like Nunez, Martinez is expected to join the Nationals bullpen.
Potomac's roster has 24 active members with 12 position players and 12 pitchers.
Carolina League Stories from July 17, 2008
- Rocks roll to victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Warthogs Come Up Short In 5-4 Loss to Myrtle Beach - Winston-Salem Dash
- Atilano, offense spark game-one win - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans hold off 'Hogs in series opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- K-Tribe wins in rout - Kinston Indians
- Potomac Nationals Game Notes - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Warthogs 1B Brandon Allen Promoted to Double-A Birmingham - Winston-Salem Dash
- Niuman Romero is the Carolina League Player of the Week - CarL
- Nunez advanced to Harrisburg - Potomac Nationals
- K-Tribe to be featured on Good Morning America - Kinston Indians
- Avalanche Upcoming Events - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.