Norfolk Rallies to Earn Point in Shootout Loss at Bridgeport
BRIDGEPORT, CT - Mike Halmo scored twice to help lead the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to a 4-3 shootout win over the Norfolk Admirals at Webster Bank Arena Saturday night.
After a scoreless first period, Bridgeport scored twice in a 25-second span early in the second period. The first of those goals came on the power play right after a faceoff win. Calvin de Hann's shot from the point was tipped and redirected into the Norfolk net by Mike Halmo for the goal.
Just 25-seconds later, Alan Quine attempted a wraparound shot which was stopped by Admirals netminder John Gibson. However, Justin Johnson wedged the puck from underneath Gibson's leg pad and shoved it into the net to give Bridgeport a 2-0 lead. The goal signaled the end of Gibson's night in goal for Norfolk, who was replaced by Igor Bobkov for the remainder of the game.
Just as the Sound Tigers did earlier in the period, the Admirals were able to string a pair of quick strikes of their own late in the middle frame. After a Luca Sbisa shot from the high slot, Max Sauve picked up the rebound and slid it into the net past Bridgeport goaltender Anders Nilsson at 17:51 of the period.
A little more than a minute later, Norfolk struck again on a perfectly set up play by John Kurtz. Kurtz broke into the zone on the left wing side and swung behind the defenseman low at the circle. Kurtz delivered a pass to Chris Wagner who flexed a shot past Nilsson to tie the game at two after 40 minutes played.
The Admirals grabbed their first lead of the game at 11:01 of the third. After some commotion regarding an injury to one of the linesmen in front of the team benches, Dave Steckel delivered a shot deep in the Bridgeport zone that clipped past Nilsson to put the score at 3-2.
The lead didn't last long, as nearly five minutes later the Sound Tigers netted the equalizer on Mike Halmo's second of the game which helped send the game to overtime.
Neither team could find the winning marker in the extra session, which sent the game to be decided in the shootout. The second shootout of the season between the two teams went in favor of the home team, as the Sound Tigers received shootout tallies from Ryan Strome and John Persson. Nilsson stopped all four Norfolk shooters to secure the 4-3 shootout win.
Nilsson earned the win stopping 28 of 31 shots, while Bobkov takes the shootout loss despite playing in relief of John Gibson. Bobkov stopped 28 of 29 shots faced in the game. Gibson allowed two goals on 15 shots in nearly 23 minutes of action.
The Admirals conclude the weekend road slate on Sunday in Hershey beginning at 5:05 p.m. Fans can tune-in on 1490 AM The Game, or online at www.1490amthegame.com. Fans can also watch the game online on the AHL Live website at http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/
Norfolk returns home for a pair of games against the Syracuse Crunch on November 8 & 9 at Scope. Game tickets are now on sale, and are available through the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, or call (757) 640-1212 Office hours are Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans can also visit us online at www.norfolkadmirals.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2013
- Iowa Wild Shut Out by Texas 5-0 - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Roll over Crunch 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Two More for Halmo in 4-3 Shootout Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Norfolk Rallies to Earn Point in Shootout Loss at Bridgeport - Norfolk Admirals
- Road Trip Ends with Loss in San Antonio - Charlotte Checkers
- Stars Bombard Wild, Win 5-0 - Texas Stars
- Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na...BACKMAN - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons Take Down Wolves 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Heat Beat Bulldogs in a Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Penguins Rally to Sweep Weekend Series against Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bulldogs Fall to Heat 3-2 in Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Storm Back to Sweep Weekend Set - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall to Monarchs 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Troy Grosenick blanks St.John's for his first professional shutout - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Fall To Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Falcons win over Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceCaps Slowed by Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons SHORTHANDED GOALS PUSH FALCONS TO VICTORY - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Stumble against Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Sign Huxley to Tryout - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Recall Zac Dalpe - Utica Comets
- Heat Sign David Harris to a PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Kings Recall Toffoli, Vey - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Recall Reto Berra from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- McGinn Recalled by Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sunday Is Picture Day at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Texas Stars Sign Goalie Allen York to PTO - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Defenseman Charles Landry - Syracuse Crunch
- Ottawa Recalls Defensemen Mark Borowiecki - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Defeat Barons, 6-0 - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.