Nolan Schaefer Sent South to Providence
The Providence Bruins, entering their 19th season in the American Hockey League, today announced that the National Hockey League's Boston Bruins have assigned goaltender Nolan Schaefer to Providence. The goalie was placed on waivers for the purpose of assignment on Monday.
Schaefer, 30, was signed by Boston as a free agent on July 5, inking a one-year contract. The net-minder accompanied the parent Bruins on their overseas trip to Belfast and Prague but did not appear in a game. Now in his eighth professional season, Schaefer returns to the North American game after spending the 2009-10 campaign with CSKA Moskow of the Kontinental Hockey League, where he went 6-10-1 with a 2.66 goals-against-average in 22 games.
Prior to playing in Russia, the native of Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan, appeared in seven NHL contests as a member of the San Jose Sharks in 2005-06, compiling a 5-1-0 record, one shutout, a 1.87 GAA and .920 save percentage. Schaefer has also suited up for several AHL clubs, including the Houston Aeros, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Hershey Bears, Worcester Sharks and Cleveland Barons, as well as the ECHL's Fresno Falcons. In his pro career, he is 118-115-15 with 15 shutouts, a 2.64 GAA and a .907 save percentage in 266 regular season games. Schaefer has also recorded a 10-14 mark, 2.77 GAA and .911 save percentage in 26 postseason outings, all in the AHL.
Schaefer, a four-year member of the Providence College Friars from 1999 until 2003, was selected 166th overall by San Jose in round five of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. He is the younger brother of former Bruin, Peter Schaefer, who suited up for Boston in 2007-08 and Providence in 2008-09.
With the addition, the P-Bruins' roster increases to 26 players, including 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.
Providence gets back into action with three games this weekend, beginning Friday at 7:05 p.m. against the Springfield Falcons for Hat Night. Hats are free to the first 2,000 fans. On Saturday, the P-Bruins travel to New Hampshire to face the Manchester Monarchs at 7 p.m. The weekend wraps up on Sunday as Providence hosts the Hartford Wolf Pack at 4:05 p.m. for Magnet Schedule Night. Magnets are free to the first 1,000 in attendance.
P-Bruins ticket packages and individual game tickets are on sale now for the 2010-11 season. To purchase tickets or for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com .
For all the latest Providence Bruins news, updates and special offers, become a fan of the P-Bruins on Facebook at www.facebook.com/providencebruins or follow the club on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AHLBruins .
American Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2010
- Power Play Produces 6-2 Win Over Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Phantoms Lose at Wilkes-Barre 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penalty kill slump continues in 6-2 loss - Rockford IceHogs
- The Badger Connection - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Hit The Beach, Take On The Hogs - Abbotsford Heat
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Assign Gimblett and Arcobello to Stockton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins Take Aim at Moose - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dekanich Recalled to Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Voynov Assigned to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- 'Canes Assign Tlusty to AHL for Conditioning Stint - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Reduce Roster by Three - San Antonio Rampage
- Aeros Reassign Goaltender Tordjman to Bakersfield - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Assign Ryan Donald and Alain Goulet to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Hit the Books for Sixth Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Nolan Schaefer Sent South to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Houston Aeros Re-Launch Website - Houston Aeros
- Crunch Announce Details of Denny's Tough Guy Meal Offer - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Open Home Schedule Saturday - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Assign David Leneveu to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Janik Joins Wings, Griffins Sign Straub - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Announce Details of Jack Link's Beef Jerky Saturdays Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros Weekly - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.