Niemi Reassigned to Whale; Road Warriors Sign Helmbrecht
Greenville, SC: Today the Road Warriors have announced Jyri Niemi has been recalled to the Connecticut Whale by the New York Rangers. In a separate transaction the Road Warriors have signed defenseman Ricky Helmbrecht.
Niemi, 22, has appeared in 14 games with the Road Warriors since his reassignment on December 29th. During that span the Hameenkyro, Finland native scored one goal and five assists with a +8 rating. Niemi was drafted in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft by the New York Islanders in the 3rd round (72nd overall).
Helmbrecht, 27, p layed the majority of the year in Southern Professional Hockey League with the Knoxville Ice Bears where he played 26 games and r ecorded two goals and collected six assists with the Ice Bears. He also h ad a three game stint with the Cincinnati Cyclones but did not amass any points. Helmbrecht hails from Odessa, Texas.
The Road Warriors are back on home ice tonight against the Toledo Walleye at 7 p.m. on the Century BMW Rink at the BI-LO Center. Throwback Thursday returns presented by 93.3 The Planet with $2 BEERS, FOUNTAIN DRINKS, HOT DOGS AND PRETZELS. FANS CAN ALSO PRESENT THEIR BI-LO BONUS CARD AND RECEIVE BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE TICKETS TO ANY SECTION!! Tickets can be purchased by calling a Ticket Account Executive at 864-674-PUCK (7825) or by visiting ticketmaster.com !
ECHL Stories from February 7, 2013
- Nailers Battle Back to Earn Point, After Trailing Through 40 Minutes - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Fall 2-1 to Toledo - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Everblades Topple Solar Bears 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Former Nailers Lead Gwinnett to 3-2 Shootout Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Veteran Center Harrison Reed Loaned to Lake Erie - Stockton Thunder
- Trenton Continues to Adjust Roster - Trenton Titans
- Trenton Titans Continue to Build, Boasting Mid-Season Increases Over - Trenton Titans
- Busy Three-Game Weekend for Aces Begins Friday - Alaska Aces
- Royals Get Three from Hershey - Reading Royals
- Scoran Added to Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Colton Yellow Horn Receives First AHL Call-Up - Ontario Reign
- Guimond Called up to AHL Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - February 7 - ECHL
- K-Wings Sign Myron - Kalamazoo Wings
- Colorado Eagles Players to Help Kids with Special Needs Learn to Skate - Colorado Eagles
- Niemi Reassigned to Whale; Road Warriors Sign Helmbrecht - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Forward Alex MacLeod Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Introducing CyclonesRewards.Com - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - February 7 - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Live Returns on Monday - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings To Host Walleye During 2nd Annual Komen Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Arcobello Becomes 495th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- ECHL Today - February 7 - ECHL
- Reign Keep Streak Alive with 4-2 Win over Condors - Ontario Reign
- SF Bulls Wrangled by Las Vegas, 5-0 - San Francisco Bulls
- Mark Arcobello Makes it Nine From Thunder to NHL - Stockton Thunder
- Tremblay Scores Twice in Third, But Condors Fall Late to Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Home Ice Treats Idaho Well in 7-3 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Double up Komets, 2-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Idaho Takes It to Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.