NHL Star Theoren Fleury Signs Pro Baseball Contract With Calgary Vipers
August 6, 2008 - Golden Baseball League (GBL) News Release
(Dublin, CA. August 6, 2008). The Golden Baseball League today announced that former NHL star Theo Fleury will be taking batting practice with the Calgary Vipers on both Thursday August 7th and Friday August 8th starting at 4:00 PM (MDT). Also after batting practice is complete on Thursday the Vipers will be holding a media conference for Fleury to officially sign his Golden League Contract. On Saturday August 9th at 5:05 PM (MDT) the former Flame will make his professional baseball debut when the Snakes take on the Yuma Scorpions in double-header action.
Fleury, 40, had a legendary hockey career, mostly with the Calgary Flames where he won a Stanley Cup Championship in 1989 and was key to their successful teams for 11 seasons. An Olympic gold medalist as well, he retired from professional hockey after the 2006 season when he played in Europe. Returning to reside in Calgary, he is currently a small business owner in the city. He will donate all proceeds from his Viper's contract to Calgary Children's Charities.
"Theo is one of the great sportsmen of Calgary and we are thrilled to have him with the team," said Calgary Viper's President Peter Young. "He's an incredible athlete and while we anticipate that his time as a Viper will just be these three days, you never know what can happen in this wonderful game."
Golden Baseball League Stories from August 6, 2008
- Armada extends Calgary skid to six - Long Beach Armada
- Snakes Suffer Sixth Straight Defeat - Calgary Vipers
- Cats get back on track, shutting out Yuma 3-0 - Edmonton Capitals
- NHL Star Theoren Fleury Signs Pro Baseball Contract With Calgary Vipers - GBL
- Fleury to Officially Sign Thursday - Calgary Vipers
- Armada tame the Snakes - Long Beach Armada
- Outlaws Snap Losing Streak with 10-2 Win Over Silver Sox - Chico Outlaws
- Peanut Giveaway Tonight - Chico Outlaws
- RoadRunners, Flyers Split Doubleheader - St. George RoadRunners
- Flyers Split marathon doubleheader with St. George - Orange County Flyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.