New Britain Bounces Back; Wins 6-4
New Britain, CT - The New Britain Rock Cats defeated the Trenton Thunder by the score of 6-4 on Tuesday night at New Britain Stadium.
Trenton jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first when 1B Kyle Roller's fly to deep center carried just over the 400' mark at the top of the hitter's eye. The home run also brought in C Gary Sanchez, who walked earlier in the inning.
The Rock Cats answered back with three of their own in the bottom half of the frame. After LF Nate Hanson moved DH Brad Boyer to third base with a double to right field, 3B Miguel Sano cracked a double to bring home both runners. Sano scored two batters later when RF Evan Bigley lifted a fly ball out to right, deep enough for the sacrifice and make it a 3-2 Rock Cats lead.
New Britain's offense continued the next inning when 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez led off with a solo home run that just curved around the foul pole in left field. CF Angel Morales followed with a double to center and after SS Danny Santana laid down a sacrifice bunt to move him over to third, Boyer drove him home with a chopper that went over Trenton starter RHP Mikey O'Brien's head. Boyer made a great first impression in his first game with the club, finishing the night 2-4 with an RBI, run scored and stolen base.
The Cats struck again in the bottom of the sixth with runners on first and second. Santana sent a liner out to right that brought home Bigley, who walked to lead off the inning. Trenton manager Tony Franklin pulled O'Brien after the RBI single - ending his night at 5 2/3 innings where he allowed six runs, all earned, on eight hits while walking two and striking out six. His record drops to 7-7.
The Thunder got runs back in the seventh and eighth innings to pull the visitors within two as both DH Yeral Sanchez and CF Mason Williams registered RBIs against reliever RHP Cole Johnson.
Thankfully for the Cats that would be the end of the offense from the visitors on this night as RHP Dakota Watts came in the ninth to notch his seventh save of the season.
Rock Cats starter RHP Trevor May put together a strong outing after giving up his first inning home run. He went six innings, giving up just the two runs on two hits while striking out four and walking four. His record improves to 8-9.
The Rock Cats will start RHP Cole De Vries for Wednesday night's contest and he will face Trenton's RHP Shane Greene. The game starts at 7:05 PM.
Eastern League Stories from August 20, 2013
- Hague, Karns Lead Sens to Doubleheader Sweep in Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Naquin, Moncrief Go Deep, But Aeros Lose at Erie - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Claim Costly Sweep of Squirrels - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats Score Early, Hold off Thunder Late - Trenton Thunder
- Bromberg Superb But Offense Sputters in Loss to Fightins - Altoona Curve
- New Britain Bounces Back; Wins 6-4 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Baysox Hand B-Mets 4-1 Defeat - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Murphy Sparks 8-6 Win at Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Great battle at Hadlock, 'Dogs fall to the 'Cats 8-6 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Strike Late to Top B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- Altoona Curve Game Information: August 20, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs vs. Fisher Cats - Game Notes - August 20, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves vs. Aeros - Game Notes - August 20, 2013 - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets vs. Baysox - Game Notes - August 20, 2013 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Eastern League Playoff Tickets Now On Sale - Portland Sea Dogs
- Urshela, Moncrief Power Aeros in 10-9 Victory - Akron RubberDucks