Nailers Force Game 7 with 6-0 Win!
Wheeling, WV - The Wheeling Nailers forced a Game 7 in their playoff series with the Cincinnati Cyclones with a 6-0 win on the road Saturday night at U.S. Bank Arena. Curtis Darling led the way with a fine performance in a 41 save shutout. Reid Cashman scored a pair of goals in the first period. Bryan Ewing, Billy Ryan, Erik Johnson and Chris Snavely all added lamplighters for the Nailers.
Wheeling raced out to a 4-0 lead in the 1st period including both Reid Cashman goals. Reid Cashman scored in the opening minute when his slapshot glanced off the edge of goalie Loic Lacasse's glove.
Billy Ryan beat the defenseman as he knifed his way in and stuffed in 5-hole on Lacasse to make it 2-0.
Wheeling scored back to back power play goals to close the 1st. Reid Cashman's slapshot was deflected in front on a 5-on-3 but he was given credit for his 2nd goal to make it 3-0. A few seconds later Billy Ryan stole it in the Cincy zone to hand it off to Bryan Ewing on the side of the cage for a 4-0 lead.
Erik Johnson lit the lamp late in the 2nd on a breakaway goal to make it 5-0. New goalie Ryan Nie made the glove save but fell into the cage with the puck in his glove so the goal counted.
Chris Snavely shot it in into the middle early in the 3rd and the puck pinballed off a Cincy defender and into the net to close the scoring.
The Cyclones hit the pipes at least 3 times in the contest. Curtis Darling made several spectacular saves and was steady all night long in a 41 save shutout. Andrew Lord dove to block several shots on the penalty kill as did several other Nailers as Cincinnati went 0-for-10 on the power play in a penalty-filled game. Wheeling was 3-for-12 on the man advantage.
The Nailers will now turn their attentions to game 7 Monday night at 7:30 in Cincinnati
This is the first series in ECHL history in which the away team has won the first 6 games.
Season tickets are on sale now for the 2009-10 campaign. Reserve your season ticket for as low as $50. There are some great incentives to reserve your season ticket ahead of time. If you pay for your season ticket in full by May 1 the Nailers will give you free parking in the back lot for the season. Those who deposit $100 by May 1 will have the $18 arena fee waived.
For more information contact the Nailers at 304-234-GOAL (that's 234-4625) or log on at wheelingnailers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 18, 2009
- Grizzlies Season Ends With Loss To Alaska - Utah Grizzlies
- Devils Bite Back Jackals in Overtime, 3-2 - Trenton Devils
- Penalty in OT Haunts Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Force Game 7 with 6-0 Win! - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Ice Disadvantage Dooms Cyclones, 6-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Bates levels series 2-2 with overtime winner in Game Four thriller - Stockton Thunder
- Salmon Kings Complete Sweep Of Steelheads - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Reign Fall to Thunder in OT, 5-4 - Ontario Reign
- Condors blanked by Vegas, series tied 2-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Ousted By Victoria - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers Even Series With 4-0 Game Four Victory - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.