Nailers Earn Six of Eight Points on Road Trip
ELMIRA, NY- The Wheeling Nailers earned six out of eight possible points on their four-game road trip through the Empire State. On Sunday afternoon, Wheeling erased five separate one-goal deficits, but was unable to pull ahead. At the 1:21 mark of overtime, the Elmira Jackals secured the bonus point, as Ian Young finished off a 2-on-1 rush with Kyle Rankin for a 6-5 final score. Kale Kerbashian had two goals for the Nailers, giving him seven points in four games during the week.
The first period featured a pair of leads for the Jackals in a somewhat offensive period, which saw them take a 2-1 lead into the intermission. The first goal came at the 4:47 mark. Casey Thrush battled his way through a delayed penalty, poking a shot on goal, then reaching out and flicking the rebound into the right side of the net. With 3:42 remaining in the stanza, the Nailers converted on the power play to tie the score. Alexandre Carrier set up Kale Kerbashian, who curled the puck to the left side of the slot, before ripping a wrist shot into the top-right corner of the cage. Elmira regained the lead 1:27 later, when Sebastien Sylvestre tipped in Nathan Moon's attempt from the right circle.
The scoring increased in the middle frame, as Wheeling continued to answer the Jackals goal for goal. The Nailers got their first equalizer of the period at the 4:38 mark, when Tyler Currier dropped a pass to Garrett Meurs, who blazed in a wrist shot from the left circle. Shortly after the midway mark of the stanza, Elmira went back on top, as Sylvestre converted on a breakaway for his second tally of the day. The answering goal came exactly six minutes later, when Kevin Schulze lunged forward in the right circle, willing in the rebound of Ryan Segalla's left point wrister. 21 seconds after that, the Jackals took their fourth lead, when Kenton Miller finished off a three-way passing play with Nathan Moon and Ian Young. With 1:53 to go, Schulze drove a shot off of the end wall, producing a big rebound, which was deposited by Gage Quinney on the right side of the crease.
The back-and-forth battle continued in period three. Miller's second of the afternoon put Elmira in the lead at the 5:07 mark, before Kerbashian's patience allowed him to roof a wrist shot from the top of the left circle, forcing overtime with 11:21 left in regulation.
In the extra session, the Jackals came away victorious. Kyle Rankin led a 2-on-1 rush on the left side of the ice, ultimately setting up Ian Young, who punched in a one-timer from the right side for a 6-5 win in favor of the home team.
Andy Iles got the win for Elmira, making 24 saves on 29 shots. Doug Carr took the overtime loss for Wheeling, giving up six goals on 33 shots.
The Nailers will return to WesBanco Arena for a three-game homestand on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday against the Idaho Steelheads. First up is a WesBanco Winning Wednesday on March 22nd, Then, a Flat Screen Friday and Frosty Friday on the 24th. Finally, the 25th is Nailers Fight Cancer Night. Special jerseys will be worn, with proceeds going to the Team Ryan Charitable Foundation, there will be a team trading card set giveaway, and a post game autograph session with the entire squad, plus it will be Ladies Night. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 19, 2017
- Defenseman Justin Hamonic Returns to Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Adirondack Defeats Atlanta 6-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mallards Clinch Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Earn a Point in Overtime Loss to Walleye - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Survives Epic Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Fuel Explode for Six First-Period Goals; Hang on for 8-7 Win over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Jackals Top the Nailers 6-5 in Overtime - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Earn Six of Eight Points on Road Trip - Wheeling Nailers
- Fucale Slams the Door as Beast Shut out Komets - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 19 - ECHL
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot 3-19-17 - Wheeling Nailers
- GAMEDAY - ADIRONDACK (32-20-5-4) vs. ATLANTA - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Upend Aces in Shootout Saturday - Alaska Aces
- Recap: Cyclones Break out the Brooms in Alaska - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Rally Falls Short - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Power Past 'Blades in Third Period for 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Third Period Haunts Thunder in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Zahn's Gordie Howe Hat Trick Propels Colorado to 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Beast Move Back into First Place with Big Win over Elmira - Brampton Beast
- Rays Surge Past Greenville in 7-5 Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Power Play Comes Alive for Solar Bears in 5-3 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.