Mudcats Blank Lookouts, 4-0
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Chattanooga's Daryl Thompson pitched a stellar, 11-strikeout performance for the Lookouts, but his performance went all for naught, as the Carolina Mudcats pitching staff matched and raised his performance in a 4-0 Carolina win at AT&T Field.
After seven innings of shutout baseball, the Carolina Mudcats finally broke the deadlock in the eighth frame. With Thompson still on the mound, the inning began on an ominous note, as an Eric Eymann fielding error at shortstop allowed Kris Harvey to reach first base. Brad Davis followed with a sacrifice bunt to advance Harvey to second. Thompson then recorded his eleventh strikeout of the game by retiring Alberto Concepcion. Thompson proceeded to walk the next two batters, which resulted in the bases being loaded and him being relieved. Pedro Viola followed in relief and allowed the first run of the game by walking Chris Coghlan. A Gaby Sanchez double cleared the bases and gave the Mudcats a 4-0 win.
Ryan Tucker pitched 5.2 inning to begin the game for the Mudcats, while Jesus Delgado (3-0) followed to pitch 1.1 innings in relief. Jeff Gogal finished the team shutout by pitching the remaining two innings for the Mudcats.
Carolina and Chattanooga will continue their five-game series, tomorrow at 7:15. The featured promotion will be free gas card giveaway. The first 505 eligible drivers with i.d. will receive a MAPCO Mart gas card. 500 fans will receive a MAPCO Mart gas card worth $10, while five lucky fans will each receive a $100 gas card. Tickets for this game or any other Lookouts home game can be purchased at the Lookouts Box Office at AT&T Field, online at www.lookouts.com, or by calling (423) 267-4849.
Southern League Stories from May 12, 2008
- BayBears Rally Late for Monday Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Pound Out 7-2 Win Over D-Jaxx - Birmingham Barons
- BayBears Beat Kershaw, Suns - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits' Pen Hands Braves Win - Mississippi Braves
- Two HR's by Colvin still not enough as Smokies lose 9-7 - Tennessee Smokies
- Homer Happy Huntsville Wins Again - Huntsville Stars
- Ryal Bags SL Hitter of the Week Award - Mobile BayBears
- Southern League Hitter and Pitcher of the Week Awards - SL
- Rain Postpones Sunday's Game; Double-Header, Tomorrow - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Szymanski Blasts Two Homers, Leads Lookouts to 5-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts to Give Away Free Gas - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mudcats Blank Lookouts, 4-0 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Strait Blasts Walk-off Homer in 3-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.