Moose's Schneider named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week
March 30, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Manitoba Moose goaltender Cory Schneider has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Mar. 29, 2009. In three starts, Schneider allowed just five goals on 110 shots, good for a 1.66 goals-against average and a .955 save percentage as Manitoba closed in on a North Division championship.
Schneider began the week with a 26-save effort in Manitoba's 2-1 loss to Syracuse on Tuesday night. He came back on Friday with 35 saves - stopping all 31 shots he faced from the second period on - to backstop the Moose to a 2-1 overtime win over Hamilton. And in Sunday's rematch with the Bulldogs, Schneider finished with a career-high 44 saves in Manitoba's 3-2 victory.
In recognition of his achievement, Schneider will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Moose home game.
The 26th overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Schneider leads the AHL with a 1.89 goals-against average and a .932 save percentage while compiling a record of 28-7-1 in 37 appearances with Manitoba this season. Schneider, 23, was 21-12-2 for the Moose as a rookie last season, and made his National Hockey League debut earlier this year with Vancouver, appearing in eight games. A native of Marblehead, Mass., Schneider was named the Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month for November 2008 and represented the Moose at the 2009 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Charter Communications.
Other nominees for Reebok/AHL Player of the Week include Albany defenseman Mark Flood, Bridgeport defenseman Andrew MacDonald, Chicago defenseman Brett Skinner, Grand Rapids center Cory Emmerton, Hamilton center Ben Maxwell, Hartford center Artem Anisimov, Hershey left wing Alexandre Giroux, Houston left wing Benoit Pouliot, Iowa left wing Matt Beleskey, Lake Erie defenseman Ray Macias, Lowell right wing Jon DiSalvatore, Milwaukee center Mike Santorelli, Peoria left wing Steve Regier, Philadelphia right wing Rob Sirianni, Portland left wing Colin Murphy, Providence defenseman Johnny Boychuk, Quad City goaltender Leland Irving, Rochester defenseman Matt Duffy, Rockford right wing Pete MacArthur, San Antonio center Joel Perrault, Syracuse center Nikita Filatov, Toronto right wing Jeremy Williams, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender John Curry and Worcester right wing Dan DaSilva.
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2009
- Griffins And Bulldogs In Fight To The Finish - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Enter Final Month Of Season This Weekend - Rochester Americans
- River Rats Officially Eliminated From 2009 Playoff Race - Albany River Rats
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 31 at Zebb's Deluxe Grill and Bar - Syracuse Crunch
- Tabulating The Votes At Awards Season - AHL
- Boyce Named Marlies Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Toronto Marlies
- Hamilton Hosts Grand Rapids This Weekend - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pirates Continue Push Toward Playoffs - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers To Play Opening Games Of Calder Cup Playoffs On Long Island - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Three big wins propel Sharks into 4th place in Atlantic - Worcester Sharks
- Khudobin reassigned to Aeros, Henderson released - Houston Aeros
- Lowell Closes Gap For Spot in Postseason - Albany Devils
- Oilers Recall Defenseman Taylor Chorney - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Recall Perry from Arizona - San Antonio Rampage
- San Jose Sharks sign Nick Petrecki and Joe Loprieno - Worcester Sharks
- MVP Health Care Player Magnet Series Giveaway Continues April 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Schneider named RBK/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Moose's Schneider named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Santorelli Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Slow Work Week For The Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hog Talk Returns Tonight At Cousin's Bar And Grill - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Takes Three Of Five To Keep Pace In The West - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Reassigns Center Jim O'Brien to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman David Stich to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack Return Goaltender Maxime Daigneault to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Playoff Tickets On Sale - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Make History In Week 25 - Manitoba Moose
- Suspended Rampage Game to be Completed April 6th - San Antonio Rampage
- Suspended AHL game to be completed April 6 - AHL
- Monsters Game To Be Completed April 6th At Hoover Arena - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.