Moose Welcome Canadian World Junior Star Travis Hamonic On 'Go Canada Night'
On a night recognizing Canada's proud hockey history, the Manitoba Moose are pleased to welcome defenceman Travis Hamonic of Canada's 2010 World Junior hockey team on Saturday, January 16th when the Moose face the Milwaukee Admirals at 7:30 p.m. at MTS Centre.
Hamonic, a native of St. Malo, MB, was one of Canada's top defenceman in the 2010 World Junior Hockey Championships. He scored three points in five tournament games and was relied upon heavily by Team Canada until sustaining an injury in the semifinal game against Switzerland, forcing him to miss the gold medal clash with the United States on January 5th.
Hamonic will be taking part in a ceremonial puck drop prior to the start of the Moose-Admirals game. Along with Hamonic, Manitoba-born Olympian Michelle Sawatzky, who competed in women's volleyball in the 1996 Summer Olympics, will also be showing her national pride on "Go Canada Night" as she sings both anthems to kick off the night.
The Moose are celebrating "Go Canada Night" by wearing a replica jersey of the 1961 Trail Smoke Eaters. The bright red sweaters, featuring a blue maple leaf and blue lettering on the front, will be auctioned off on the concourse throughout the game that night and will later be sold on eBay.
Hamonic is in his fourth Western Hockey League season and was traded to the Brandon Wheat Kings, 2010 MasterCard Memorial Cup hosts, from the Moose Jaw Warriors at the WHL trade deadline on Sunday, January 10th. Before leaving for Team Canada's World Junior camp in December, Hamonic led all WHL defencemen in scoring with 39 points in 31 games. He was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round, 53rd overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2010
- Wolves Nip Rampage 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Fight Off Rampage, 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Pirates Release Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Monster Sighting In Abbotsford This Weekend - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Lend A Helping Hand With Community Corner - Abbotsford Heat
- Moose Welcome Canadian World Junior Star Travis Hamonic On 'Go Canada Night' - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Announce Adirondack Hockey Hall Of Fame - Adirondack Phantoms
- AHL All-Star Community Visits - Portland Pirates
- On-Ice Passes For Dropkick Murphys On Sale Now - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Dollar Dogs 'N Drafts Promotion Extended to every Friday Night - Rochester Americans
- Lake Erie's Hensick Added To AHL All-Star Roster - Cleveland Monsters
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon Star Chaske Spencer To Sign Autographs At The Worcester Sharks Game - Worcester Sharks
- Crunch Foundation To Assist In Haitian Earthquake Relief Effort - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Play Arch Madness Charity Basketball Game - Binghamton Senators
- Alex Stalock Added To AHL All-Star Roster - Worcester Sharks
- Harrison Reed Recalled From Florida - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Goalie Dustin Tokarski Earns First NHL Call-Up - Norfolk Admirals
- Blair Jones Named To AHL All-Star Classic - Norfolk Admirals
- Three Added To Rosters For 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur From Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Panthers Call For Two More; Ellerby And Macintyre Join Florida - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Assign Rw Martins Karsums To Hc Mvd Of The Khl - Norfolk Admirals
- Moose Turn Down The Heat 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Moose Turn Down The Heat, 3-0 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.