Montreal Impact Launches 20th Season and Unveils Third Jersey
MONTREAL - Three days prior to its first game, the Montreal Impact officially launched its season Wednesday evening, at New City Gas, where the club unveiled plans to honour its 20th anniversary, while unveiling the 2013 roster.
"Our slogan this year is Behind every player is a supporter. But tonight, we have to remember that every team has a history, and ours began 20 years ago," said Montreal Impact President Joey Saputo. "It began with a concept, an idea: To build a professional soccer club that would be a reflection of this city, for this city. This team would be based on values such as: loyalty, continuity, trust, accessibility and community. As we continue to fulfill our promise, it is important that we don't sit on our laurels and we must continue to strive to improve both on and off the field."
Third jersey Honouring the team's inaugural season in 1993, the club unveiled a third jersey that resembles the black and blue vertically striped uniform from the team's inaugural year, with a few modern touches.
The blue in the 2013 jersey, which was much darker two decades ago, remains loyal to the blue colours of the MLS edition of the Impact, along with a more modern, tighter fit, which players are accustomed to today. The collar has been revamped to hold its shape and includes two buttons down the front and, at the ends of the sleeves for both the long and short versions, has elastic to keep it tight around the arm.
Produced by adidas, it will feature the club's presenting partner's logo, BMO Financial Group logo.
"Our third jersey is perhaps the most vibrant reflection of the values we always wanted to instill in this club: we must be proud of our roots, we must always respect those who have come before us and no matter the challenges, we must always stay true to our colours," added Saputo.
The new third jersey is available starting tomorrow at the online boutique, as well as at the official Stade Saputo boutique.
Honouring former players For the occasion, a number of original members of the 1993 Impact squad were on hand for the presentation.
On different occasions throughout the season, the club will also honour the playoff championship teams (1994, 2004, 2009) by inviting former players to three different games: the home opener at Olympic Stadium on March 16, and then on May 25 and August 24.
Future soccer players Continuing to work with soccer at the grass roots level, the club will be creating the Dejeuners des jeunes champions, honouring the best youth teams from all around the province.
The Montreal Impact Foundation After 20 years of being involved in the community, the club will be fortifying its mission by working on the creation of its own foundation before the end of the year.
Website Former journalist from the Journal de Montreal, Martin Smith, who covered the team since its inaugural season, will be the creative force behind a special section on the Impact website to honour the club's history.
2013 kickoff The team plays its first game this Saturday at 10:30pm (ET) in Seattle (TVA Sports, 98,5FM, CJAD 800). The Impact will play its home opener at Olympic Stadium on Saturday, March 16 at 4pm ET against Toronto FC.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 27, 2013
- Ahead of the Regular Season Opener, LA Galaxy Focused on Starting Out Season Right - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Montreal Impact Launches 20th Season and Unveils Third Jersey - Montreal Impact
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Launch MLS Primary Kit - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC Reveal New Kits for 2013 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Left-Sided Speedster Smith Is a Rare Breed - New England Revolution
- Sporting Kansas City Unveils New Primary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake to Train Thursday at 2:30 MT at America First Field - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Adds Two Mexican-American Midfielders - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Star of TNT's Dallas, Jesse Metcalfe, Joins FC Dallas Opening Day Festivities on March 2 - FC Dallas
- For US U-20 Stars Gil, Villarreal Team Ethic Trumps All on Path to World Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo President Chris Canetti Signs Contract Extension - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Taps White+Partners as Agency of Record - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Season Opener to be Shown Live on Time Warner Cable - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Announce First Kick and Match Day Activities - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls 2013 Matches to be Aired Live on ESPN Deportes Radio Nueva York - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Sign Draft Picks Smith, Soffner - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Officially Parts Ways with Two - D.C. United
- Timbers Waive Midfielder Franck Songo'O, Defender Chris Taylor - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Add Hogan Ephraim on Loan - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Supplemental Draft Pick for Amarikwa - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Acquire Forward Quincy Amarikwa from Toronto FC - Chicago Fire
- 2013 MLS Direct Kick Package Unveiled - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.