Montgomery Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors
Wilmington, DE - Wilmington Blue Rocks starting pitcher Michael Montgomery has been named the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week for games played between Aug. 31 and Sept. 7. He becomes the fifth Blue Rocks hurler honored by the league office this season.
Montgomery posted a 2-0 record and 0.71 ERA in two starts on the week. Over 12.2 innings pitched, the hard-throwing lefty struck out 18 while walking only one. He held his opponents to a .114 batting average.
Ranked by Baseball America as the top pitching prospect for the Kansas City Royals, Montgomery struck out a dozen Myrtle Beach Pelicans in his first start of his honored week on Aug. 31. That total ranks second for any Carolina League pitcher in a single game this season. No Blue Rock had notched that many strikeouts in an outing since Aníbal Sánchez whiffed 14 Salem hitters on April 16, 2005. Sanchez went on to hurl a no-hitter in the Majors the next year for the Florida Marlins.
Among the former Blue Rocks that took Pitcher of the Week honors, since promoted southpaw Everett Teaford took them for May 18-24. Right-hander Mario Santiago received the same praise for his efforts from June 8-14. Danny Duffy claimed the flag for July 13-19 and Alex Caldera won the notoriety just last week. The Blue Rocks finished the regular season with a league-best 3.10 ERA, a mark that ranks second among all 120 full-season MiLB teams.
Montgomery, who went 4-1 on the year with a 2.25 ERA in nine Wilmington starts, gets the nod on Friday night in Game Three of the Northern Division Championship Series against the Lynchburg Hillcats. That will be the first home playoff game for the Blue Rocks this season with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Carolina League Stories from September 8, 2009
- Boston Pitcher Daisuke Matsusaka to Pitch for Salem in Game 1 - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rocks Honor Heroes On 9/11 Playoff Opener - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash to Face Salem Red Sox in First Round of Playoffs - Winston-Salem Dash
- Widlansky Wins Batting Title - Frederick Keys
- Boleska Joins Great Britain For World Cup - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Daisuke Matsuzaka to Make Rehab Start for Salem on Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Montgomery Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Kinston's Ole Sheldon is the Carolina League Player of the Week - Kinston Indians
- Hillcats Announce Team Award Winners - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.