Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak
Despite tying the game in the third period, the Lake Erie Monsters (9-7-1-0) saw their winless streak extend to four games as they fell to the Rockford IceHogs (8-8-0-1) by a 4-2 score before a crowd of 9,480 at Quicken Loans Arena. Luke Walker and Tyson Barrie had power play goals for the Monsters, and Mike Sgarbossa registered a pair of assists for Lake Erie in the loss.
Rockford's Nick Leddy scored a power play goal from the left point at 1:07 of the first period to give Rockford the game's first goal, and Kyle Beach extended the IceHogs lead to 2-0 at 8:08 of the second period.
Later in the second, with the Monsters on a power play, Bryan Lerg found Sgarbossa open in the left wing corner, and Sgarbossa sent a perfect backdoor pass to Walker, who fired the puck past Rockford goalie Alec Richards to pull the Monsters to within a goal at 12:37 of the middle frame. Walker's goal was his fifth of the season.
The Monsters tied the game on the power play when Sgarbossa, from the right circle, spotted defenseman Barrie moving toward the net. The two connected on a pass, and Barrie snapped a puck past Richards for his fifth goal of the season at 2:58 of the third period. Barrie's goal was also assisted by Thomas Pock.
Rockford added two goals in the third period; a Brandon Saad wrist shot from the left circle that beat Lake Erie's Sami Aittokallio high to the glove side at 10:40 of the final period, and an Andrew Shaw empty-net goal in the final moments.
Aittokallio (4-4-0) stopped 33 of 36 shots for the Monsters. Richards (3-1-0) stopped 30 of 32 shots in the Rockford net.
The Monsters and IceHogs play again Saturday night at The Q, with the action beginning at 7:30 PM. The game can be heard live on ESPN 850 WKNR and seen live on MY 43 THE BLOCK WUAB.
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.