Monarchs' Bernier named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month
April 1, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Jonathan Bernier of the Manchester Monarchs has been named the Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month for March. Bernier appeared in 12 of the Monarchs' 13 games during the month, going 6-5-1 with a 1.97 goals-against average, a .927 save percentage and two shutouts.
Bernier began the month with five consecutive victories, allowing a total of six goals in those starts. He posted a 24-save shutout in a 1-0 overtime win vs. Hartford on Mar. 6, and was named the game's third star after stopping 27 of 29 shots in a 3-1 loss to Lowell on Mar. 13. Bernier helped keep the AHL's top offense at bay with 37 saves, allowing only two power-play goals, in a 3-2 shootout loss to Hershey on Mar. 22, and turned aside all 18 Lowell shots in a 3-0 victory on Mar. 24.
In recognition of his achievement, Bernier will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Monarchs home game.
Bernier has made 48 appearances for Manchester this season, going 20-22-4 with a 2.45 goals-against average and a .911 save percentage. He is also tied for the lead among AHL rookies with four shutouts. Los Angeles's first-round pick (11th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, the 20-year-old native of Laval, Que., made his pro debut with the Kings last season, playing in four NHL games.
Other nominees for Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month include Binghamton's Jeff Glass, Bridgeport's Nathan Lawson, Chicago's Ondrej Pavelec, Grand Rapids' Jimmy Howard, Hamilton's Marc Denis, Hartford's Miika Wiikman, Houston's Nolan Schaefer, Iowa's David LeNeveu, Lake Erie's Tyler Weiman, Lowell's Jeff Frazee, Manitoba's Cory Schneider, Milwaukee's Mark Dekanich, Philadelphia's Scott Munroe, Portland's Jhonas Enroth, Providence's Tuukka Rask, Quad City's Leland Irving, Rochester's Mike Brodeur, Rockford's Antti Niemi, San Antonio's Al Montoya and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's John Curry.
American Hockey League Stories from April 1, 2009
- Four straight by Rockford too much for Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Manny Legace Pitches 3-0 Shutout Over Chicago - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons Conclude Home Schedule With OT Loss - Springfield Falcons
- Sens snag point in shootout loss to Penuins - Binghamton Senators
- No Foolin' - Phantoms Win Again - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolf Pack top Pirates, 5-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Hickey Picks Up Two In His Pro Debut - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames top west division champs - Abbotsford Heat
- Devils Edged In Shootout By Monarchs, 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Kowalski is a Bear Killer as Admirals Top Hershey 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Win 3-2 OT Thriller, Earn Share Of Third - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs spread the wealth in 5-2 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Tops Pirates 5-3 - Portland Pirates
- Phantoms Rally For 6-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Boychuk Named CCM AHL Co-Player of the Month - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Details of Time Warner Cable Mini War Memorial Giveaway - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Defenceman John Negrin To The American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Sign Forward John Swanson to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Justin Fletcher Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Honor Fitzpatrick, Ellerby At Player Of The Month Lunch - Rochester Americans
- Aeros host Pet Pals Thursday night, fans can bring their dog to the game - Houston Aeros
- Kennedy and Gerbe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- Defenseman Mattias Karlsson Named To 2008-09 All-Rookie Team - Binghamton Senators
- Yannick Weber Named To 2008-2009 All-Rookie Team - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Abdelkader Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 2008-09 AHL All-Rookie Team announced - AHL
- Crunch Sign Forward Tim Miller - Syracuse Crunch
- Ben Maxwell Named Reebok Edge/AHL Rookie of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bernier Named AHL's Goaltender Of The Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Rivermen's Fletcher, Bruins' Boychuk named co-winners of CCM/AHL Player of the Month - AHL
- Monarchs' Bernier named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month - AHL
- Bulldogs' Maxwell named Reebok Edge/AHL Rookie of the Month - AHL
- Veteran Winger Christian Signs with IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- With Two Weeks Left, Playoff Berth Getting Closer - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Worcester Sharks "Be a Leader" program stops in Holden - Worcester Sharks
- Columbus Recalls Nikita Filatov - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose release St. Croix from PTO - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.