MLS Reserve League Match 7: Crew Falls to Montreal 1-0
OBETZ, OH -- The Columbus Crew Reserves (2-4-1) lost 1-0 to the Montreal Impact Reserves (3-0-1) on an 87th-minute winner from Mircea Ilcu on Sunday morning at the Obetz Training Facility.
The Black & Gold peppered Montreal's keeper Evan Bush for much of the first half, but were unable to find the back of the net. Ethan Finlay provided the first major scoring chance for the Crew in the 21st-minute, pushing a one-on-one opportunity slightly wide of Bush's left goalpost.
In the 81st-minute, Crew midfielder Tony Tchani watched his penalty kick from the spot get tipped over the crossbar by Bush after Justin Meram was fouled inside the box to set up the chance from the spot. Six minutes later, Montreal's Mircea Ilcu sealed the match with a run down the left flank of the pitch as Ilcu's movement forced the Crew defense to crash towards the end line, allowing him to cut back into the vacant space and score the winner across the face of Crew 'keeper Matt Lampson.
The Crew Reserves return to action on Wednesday, July 10 at 7:30 p.m. ET against the Dayton Dutch Lions at Crew Stadium.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 16, 2013
- Chivas USA Fall 1-0 to Chivas Guadalajara in Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Inability to Convert Chances Costs Crew in Reserve League Tilt - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Reserve League Match 7: Crew Falls to Montreal 1-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Heaps: "It Would be a Mistake for Us not to Learn from this Game" - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Squad of 1996 Serves as the Inspiration for New Third Kit - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Play to 1-1 Reserve League Draw with the L.A. Blues - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC defeat Revolution - New England Revolution
- Kenny Miller scores a pair in Whitecaps FC win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- TIMBERS U-23s RALLY FOR 2-2 COMEBACK DRAW AT KITSAP - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Pick up Road Win against Colorado Rapids, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.