Mitchell's Homer Pushes Barons Past Stars 5-1
Birmingham, AL - Behind the bat of Jared Mitchell and the arm of Scott Snodgress, the Barons picked up their second victory in a row over the Huntsville Stars, winning by a score of 5-1 in front of 5,270 fans at Regions Field.
The Barons jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the second on a two-run home run by Mitchell. It was his first homer since rejoining the Barons earlier in the week and his first in a Barons uniform since hitting two against the Stars on July 14th , 2012.
Barons starter Scott Snodgress (3-1, 3.38) navigated through 7.0 solid innings, scattering seven hits and striking out five while allowing just one run on a solo home run to Jason Rogers. Rogers finished a single short of hitting for the cycle, going 3-for-3 with a walk.
Leading 2-1 in the 8th , the Barons would put the game away with a three-run inning, highlighted by a two-run single by Andy Wilkins who finished with his second-straight two-hit game.
Santos Rodriguez and Salvador Sanchez retired the final six outs of the game with Sanchez recording a four- out save, his first of the season. The loss went to Huntsville starter Andy Moye (1-0, 4.61) who allowed two runs on four hits over 5.0 IP.
With the win, the Barons improved to 11-8, tied with the Tennessee Smokies for first place in the Southern League North Division, while the Stars fell to 8-11 on the year.
The Barons will look for a series victory tomorrow morning as RHP Stephen McCray (2-1, 3.00) takes the hill against LHP Alan Williams (0-1, 0.87). First pitch is schedule for 11:00 AM CDT.
Southern League Stories from April 23, 2013
- Mitchell's Homer Pushes Barons Past Stars 5-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits' Late Rally Too Much for Smokies Tuesday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Suns Fall 4-0, Drop Series to Lookouts - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- OF Ty Wright sent from Triple-A Iowa; INF Anthony Giansanti sent to Single-A Daytona - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Game Information (Tuesday, April 23) - Jackson Generals
- Suns Announce Roster Moves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Nunez to Gwinnett, Landoni to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.