Missions Add INF Lance Zawadzki, LHP Scott Rice; INF Brian Joynt to DL
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Missions announced today that infielder Lance Zawadzki has been promoted from Single-A Lake Elsinore and left-handed pitcher Scott Rice will join the team from Extended Spring Training.
Zawadzki, 24, was originally a fourth-round selection out of Lee University (TN) in 2007. He played in two games in San Antonio at the end of the 2008 season, going 1-for-3 with a run scored. This year at Lake Elsinore he batted .276 (40-for-145) with 10 home runs and a .552 slugging percentage in 36 games.
Rice, 27, has spent the last 10 seasons in the minor leagues after being drafted 44th overall by the Orioles in 1999. The Simi Valley, CA native is 27-42 with a 4.15 ERA (262 ER/568.2 IP) in his career. He has pitched as high as Triple-A in 2006, where he made 52 appearances for the Ottawa Lynx of the International League.
Infielder Brian Joynt has been placed on the disabled list with a sprained right ankle and right-handed pitcher Derek McDaid has been released by the organization. The Missions roster is full at 24 players.
The Missions continue their homestand with a three-game series starting tonight against Arkansas at 7:05 pm.
Texas League Stories from May 30, 2009
- 7-Run Lead Not Enough For Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Norrick Saves the Day in 5-4 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Win Streak Stops Saturday In SA - San Antonio Missions
- Frisco deals Naturals 7-5 loss - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Better Latos than Never - San Antonio Missions
- Naturals meet RoughRiders for first time in 09 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Missions Add INF Lance Zawadzki, LHP Scott Rice; INF Brian Joynt to DL - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.