Minnesota Lynx to Open 2013 Season on June 1 vs. Connecticut
MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - The 2012 Western Conference Champion Minnesota Lynx today announced the team's schedule for the upcoming 2013 season. The Lynx will kick off their 15th anniversary season in the WNBA at home against Connecticut on Saturday, June 1 at 7 p.m. The 2013 WNBA campaign includes 34 regular-season games, dating from May 24 and Sept. 14. This year's All-Star Game will be held in Uncasville, Connecticut on Saturday, July 27. Full-season memberships, which include tickets to all 17 home games, are still available by visiting www.lynxbasketball.com or by calling 612-673-8400.
The Lynx will play Western Conference teams Los Angeles (three times on the road, twice at home) and Phoenix (three times at home, twice on the road) five times this season, while facing off with San Antonio, Seattle and Tulsa four times each, twice at home and twice on the road. Minnesota will face all six Eastern Conference teams twice, once at home and once on the road. The 2013 Lynx campaign also includes two nationally broadcast home games on July 9 vs. Atlanta and Aug. 24 vs. Indiana.
Minnesota's 17-game home schedule includes 11 weekend games (3 Friday, 4 Saturday, 4 Sunday), two Tuesday, two Wednesday and two Thursday game. The team's annual camp day game will tip off on Wednesday, July 24 at 12 p.m., as the Lynx play host to the Phoenix Mercury. The Lynx have one three-game homestand this season (Aug. 4 "" 8) to go with one four-game road trip (July 11 "" 21) and two three-game road trips (June 14 "" 21 and Sept. 7 "" 12).
Highlights of the home half of the schedule include: a rematch of last year's WNBA Finals when Tamika Catchings, Katie Douglas and the Indiana Fever return to Target Center on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 7 p.m.; a rematch of last year's Western Conference Finals with the Los Angeles Sparks (Friday, June 28 and Wednesday, September 4); a trio of visits from the Phoenix Mercury, featuring Diana Taurasi and the No. overall 1 pick in the 2013 WNBA Draft (Thursday, June 6; Sunday, July 7 and Wednesday, July 24) and the first meeting as head coaches between Minnesota's Cheryl Reeve and New York's Bill Laimbeer, who mentored Reeve during her tenure as an assistant in Detroit (Sunday, Aug. 18).
Minnesota's preseason schedule will be announced at a later date.
Key Facts about the 2013 Lynx Regular Season Schedule
- By month, the schedule breaks down as follows: June (5 home, 4 away = 9 total), July (3 home, 5 away = 8 total), August (7 home, 5 away = 12 total) and September (2 home, 3 away = 5 total).
- By day, the schedule breaks down as follows: Tuesday (2 home, 5 away = 7 total), Wednesday (2 home, 1 away = 3 total), Thursday (2 home, 4 away = 6 total), Friday (3 home, 2 away = 5 total), Saturday (4 home, 3 road = 7 total), Sunday (4 home, 2 away = 6 total).
- Minnesota's 17-game home schedule will feature three different starting times: 11 games tipoff at 7:00 p.m.; five games (four Sundays and a Saturday) will commence at 6:00 p.m.; one game will start at 12:00 p.m. (Saturday).
- The Lynx will open their regular season slate at home on Saturday, June 1 vs. Connecticut, marking the eighth time in franchise history the club has opened the season at home. Minnesota is 6-2 in season openers at Target Center, including last season's 105-83 opening night win at home over Phoenix, which matched the WNBA record for points in a season opener.
- Minnesota has one homestand of at least three games this season, a stretch which includes games against Phoenix, San Antonio and Seattle from July 24 "" Aug. 4. The homestand is a part of the most home-friendly section of the Lynx schedule, an eight-game stretch ranging from late July to August, when the Lynx play six of eight games at Target Center (July 24 "" Aug. 18).
- The most consecutive road games this season for the Lynx is four: July 11 "" 21 (Indiana, Tulsa, San Antonio, Phoenix). The Lynx also have two strings of three consecutive road games this summer: June 14 "" 21 (Tulsa, Phoenix, Los Angeles) and Sept. 7 "" 12 (Seattle, Seattle, Los Angeles).
- Minnesota will not play games in back-to-back nights this season. However, the Lynx will play the same opponent in two games in a row three times in 2013: Los Angeles (June 28 "" July 2), Phoenix (July 21 "" 24) and Seattle (Sept. 7 "" 10).
Lynx 2013 Opponent Breakdown
Western Conference: Los Angeles (H: 6/28, 9/4; A: 6/21, 7/2, 9/12); Phoenix (H: 6/6, 7/7, 7/24; A: 6/19, 7/21); San Antonio (H: 6/11, 8/2; A: 7/19, 8/6); Seattle (H: 8/4, 8/31; A: 9/7, 9/10); Tulsa (H: 6/23, 8/16; A: 6/14, 7/13).
Eastern Conference: Atlanta (H: 7/9; A: 8/20); Chicago (H: 9/14; A: 8/11); Connecticut (H: 6/1; A: 8/22); Indiana (H: 8/24; A: 7/11); New York (H: 8/18; A: 8/27); Washington (H: 8/8; A: 6/8).
Minnesota Lynx 2013 Regular Season Schedule
Jun. Sat. 1
Connecticut 7:00 p.m.
Phoenix 7:00 p.m.
Sat. 8 at Washington 7:00 p.m.
San Antonio 7:00 p.m.
Fri. 14 at Tulsa 7:00 p.m.
Wed. 19 at Phoenix 7:00 p.m.
Fri. 21 at Los Angeles 8:00 p.m.
Tulsa 6:00 p.m.
Los Angeles 7:00 p.m.
July Tue. 2 at Los Angeles 7:30 p.m.
Phoenix 6:00 p.m.
Atlanta* 7:00 p.m.
Thu. 11 at Indiana 12:00 p.m.
Sat. 13 at Tulsa 7:00 p.m.
Thu. 19 at San Antonio 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 21 at Phoenix 3:00 p.m.
Phoenix 12:00 p.m.
Aug. Fri. 2
San Antonio 7:00 p.m.
Seattle 6:00 p.m.
Tue. 6 at San Antonio 7:00 p.m.
Washington 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 11 at Chicago 5:00 p.m.
Tulsa 7:00 p.m.
New York 6:00 p.m.
Tue. 20 at Atlanta 7:00 p.m.
Thu. 22 at Connecticut 7:00 p.m.
Indiana* 6:00 p.m.
Tue. 27 at New York 7:00 p.m.
Seattle 7:00 p.m.
Sept. Wed. 4
Los Angeles 7:00 p.m.
Sat. 7 at Seattle 7:00 p.m.
Tue. 10 at Seattle 7:00 p.m.
Thu. 12 at Los Angeles 7:30 p.m.
Chicago 7:00 p.m.
All times local.
* Nationally telecast on ESPN2
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 6, 2013
- Atlanta Dream Announces 2013 Schedule - Atlanta Dream
- Mystics Release 2013 Schedule - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - New York Liberty
- 2013 Schedule Announced; Champions Honored at May 31 Home Opener - Indiana Fever
- Minnesota Lynx to Open 2013 Season on June 1 vs. Connecticut - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago Sky Release 2013 Schedule - Chicago Sky
- WNBA Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - WNBA
- Connecticut Sun Announce 2013 Schedule - Connecticut Sun
- Shock Re-Sign Black, Holt and Paris - Tulsa Shock
- Wheaton North Sky Girls HS Basketball Team of the Week - Chicago Sky
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.