MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp
SECAUCUS, NJ (Friday, January 20, 2005) - The MetroStars reacquired the 41st overall selection in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft from Houston in exchange for goalkeeper Zach Wells. The fourth round pick was used to select midfielder Blake Camp from Duke University. This pick originally belonged to the MetroStars but was traded to Houston on December 5th in exchange for goalkeeper Jon Conway.
In his four-year collegiate career at Duke, Camp played in 82 games (71 starts) and scored 24 goals and 22 assists. He was named to the Atlantic Coast Conference First Team three years and was a second team All-American in 2005. Camp has spent considerable time training overseas, as he trained with English club's Manchester United, Blackburn and Blackpool in 1998; La Liga club Real Vallodolid in 2001; and Brazilian teams Jujai Paulista and Palmeiras in 2002.
Camp was the third and final draft pick for the MetroStars in the 2006 SuperDraft. After trading up for the number one overall selection, the "Red and Black" took Marvell Wynne and with the 17th overall selection, drafted Josmer Altidore.
Zach Wells started 17 games for the MetroStars in 2005 and registered a 6-4-7 record, including four shutouts. His best game of 2005 came against DC United on June 12, when he stopped 14 DC shots in a 0-0 tie. The 14 saves fell one shy of the MLS record set by Tony Meola in 1997.
The 24-year-old Wells was drafted by the MetroStars in the third round of the 2004 MLS SuperDraft.
After the trade, the MetroStars now have two goalkeepers on their roster- Tony Meola and Jon Conway.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2006
- Bradley names Preki as Chivas USA Assistant Coach - MLS
- L.A. Galaxy select five players at 2006 MLS Superdraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MetroStars Select Marvell Wynne First Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Chivas USA gets three in Philly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Draft Six Players Including Armenian Striker Yura Movsisyan - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey - Columbus Crew SC
- adidas unveils 2006 Chivas USA uniform - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United drafts Justin Moose in first round of 2006 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Revs select three players in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- MetroStars Land U-17 Standout Josmer Altidore in Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- Ready for Mehdi - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Select Midfielder - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus - Colorado Rapids
- adidas Unveils D.C. United Jerseys - D.C. United
- Crew Acquires Two Draft Picks In Exchange For Partial Allocation - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.