Meech added to AHL All-Star roster
The St. John's IceCaps, in conjunction with the American Hockey League, have announced that defenceman Derek Meech has been added to the Eastern Conference squad at the 2013 AHL All-Star Classic this weekend in Providence, RI.
In 36 games with St. John's this season, the Winnipeg native has recorded 18 points (3G, 15A) and leads the club in power play points with 11. All three of Meech's goals have been game-winners, also a team-high.
This is the second AHL All-Star Classic appearance for the 28-year-old rearguard, who was selected to participate in the 2007 festivities at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto.
For his career, Meech has played in 345 AHL games with the IceCaps and Grand Rapids Griffins, tallying 121 points (30G, 91A) and 276 penalty minutes. Meech has also suited up in 128 NHL contests with the Detroit Red Wings and Winnipeg Jets, notching 16 points (4G, 12A) and 43 penalty minutes.
Zach Redmond, who was originally selected to play in the 2013 AHL All-Star Classic, will miss the two-day event. The sophomore defenceman is currently on recall to the IceCaps NHL club, the Winnipeg Jets.
A limited number of individual tickets remain available for the 2013 Pepsi AHL All-Star Skills Competition at 7 p.m. on Sunday, January 27 and the 2013 AHL All-Star Game at 7 p.m. on Monday, January 28. Call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or visit ticketmaster.com or the Dunkin' Donuts Center box office to purchase.
The 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic in Providence will feature the top young talent in the American Hockey League competing a two-day event to be televised nationally in the United States and Canada. Of the 597 players to take part in the AHL All-Star Classic since the event was reinstated in 1995, nearly 93 percent have competed in the National Hockey League, including Patrice Bergeron, Daniel Briere, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Mike Cammalleri, Zdeno Chara, Miikka Kiprusoff, Ryan Miller, Zach Parise, Tuukka Rask, Pekka Rinne, Bobby Ryan, Martin St. Louis, Cory Schneider, Jason Spezza and Eric Staal.
American Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2013
- Knuble Makes Griffins Debut in 5-4 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comeback in Connecticut - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Stay Hot in Cold Weather - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Extend Winning Streak To Six, Dispatch Devils - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Return Home with Overtime Victory - Connecticut Whale
- Strong Defense, Spread-Out Attack and Special Teams Lead Admirals to Victory Over Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Pick Up Road Win In Milwaukee, Sink Admirals 3-2 - Houston Aeros
- Penguins Win Fifth Straight With Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed by Falcons - Albany Devils
- Checkers Suffer First Loss to Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins shut out IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Fall to Monarchs - Providence Bruins
- Flames Assign Roman Horak to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Simpson Reassigned To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Jamie Tardif Added to All-Star Roster - Providence Bruins
- Frattin Added To All-Star Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Dumont Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Meech added to AHL All-Star roster - St. John's IceCaps
- Brad Hunt Replaces Brett Sterling on AHL All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch defenseman Radko Gudas added to 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic roster - Syracuse Crunch
- Emerson Etem Named to AHL Star Squad - Norfolk Admirals
- Roster changes announced for 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Griffins Sign Spady to Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Tom Kostopoulos Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canadiens Assign Blunden To Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jake Allen Schools Wolves 2-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves wrap up first half on wrong side of whitewash - Chicago Wolves
- Hogs Raise $22,875 For Breast Cancer Research - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Present Star Wars Night, Dollars For Scholars And More This Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Bulldogs Release Mike Commodore from PTO - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Albany, Game #40 - Springfield Falcons
- Couture Returning To Ontario Reign - Houston Aeros
- Danton Assigned to IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Sign Mark Eaton to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Weekly - 2nd Half Begins - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.