Mayer Stops 42 to Steal Game for Bulldogs
The Peoria Rivermen fired 43 shots on goal but only scored once in a 3-1 loss to the Hamilton Bulldogs on Saturday night at Copps Coliseum. Patrick Holland scored twice and Robert Mayer made a season-high 42 saves to hold off the Rivermen after taking an early 1-0 lead.
Peoria opened up the scoring just 2:49 into the first period. Derek Nesbitt collected a rebound produced by a T.J. Hensick shot to give the Rivermen a 1-0 lead. Taylor Chorney also earned an assist on Nesbitt's 20th marker of the year.
Holland tied the game with a power-play goal scored late in the first frame. Holland fired a shot from the point that deflected through traffic, and went between the legs of Mike McKenna. Michael Bournival and Joey Tenute acquired the assists.
Peoria outshot the Bulldogs 18-6 in the opening period but the period resulted in a 1-1 tie. The tie stood until late in the third period when Holland struck again.
With 2:40 remaining in regulation, Holland finished a two-on-one break, with Tenute, into the top corner of the net. Frederic St-Denis also assisted on the game-winning tally.
Tenute added an empty-net goal to make it a 3-1 game with 26 seconds left.
The Rivermen went 0-for-5 on the man advantage while the Bulldogs went 1-for-2. Peoria outshot Hamilton 43-28 on the evening.
The Rivermen road trip will continue on Sunday as they visit the Toronto Marlies at 2 p.m. p.m. All games can be heard on CD Country 107.9 FM and online through www.rivermen.net.
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2013
- Hats off to Jason Akeson - Adirondack Phantoms
- Jeff Nelson Inducted to Portland Pirates Hall of Fame, Presented by Unum - Portland Pirates
- Rockford Stuns Barons with Another Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Can't Hold Lead against Milwaukee, Fall 3-2 in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Pirates Overpowered by Penguins in Overtime - Portland Pirates
- Monsters Unsuccessful in Return to the Road - Cleveland Monsters
- Griffins Win for Seventh Time in Last Eight Home Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Conclude Successful Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Complete Sweep of Bears - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Top Houston in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Push Past Portland in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- McCarthy's Late Tally Not Enough to Propel Worcester in Shootout - Worcester Sharks
- Bulldogs Steer Past Rivermen 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens Win Overtime Thriller, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks' Rally Falls Short in 4-3 OT Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Mayer Stops 42 to Steal Game for Bulldogs - Peoria Rivermen
- Phantoms take win - Connecticut Whale
- Bruins Bite Sharks in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Defeated by Crunch - St. John's IceCaps
- Michael Leighton Heads Back to Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch Complete Weekend Sweep of IceCaps - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Down First-Place Falcons - Albany Devils
- Third-Period Flurry Subdues Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Marlies Fall 4-2 against Heat - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Beat Marlies 4-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Flames Reassign Sven Baertschi to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Cal Heeter Joins Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- SJ Sharks Announce Roster Transactions - Worcester Sharks
- Portland Pirates Roll Back the Clock with Pieces of Eight Tickets - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Host Penguins on Hall of Fame Night - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Albany, Game #57 - Springfield Falcons
- Moon Recalled From Evansville - Springfield Falcons
- Senators blank Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Get by Wolves 4-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.