Mavs Sign Defenseman Vichorek, Miller Reassigned to Missouri
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks announced Friday the Central Hockey League (CHL) team has signed defenseman Taylor Vichorek, and forward Kenton Miller has been reassigned to the Mavericks by the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Chicago Wolves. Also, forward Jed Ortmeyer, who played in the last two games for the Mavericks, has signed with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage.
Vichorek, 24 (8/25/88), is a 6-foot-8, 250-pound defenseman playing in his third season professionally. A native of Moose Lake, Minnesota, he started this season and played in six games with the ECHL's Idaho Steelheads. Last season, Vichorek played the majority of the year with the CHL's Quad City Mallards. In 52 games with the Mallards, he accounted for 10 points (4-610) and 42 penalty minutes. Overall, he has 25 points (8-1725) in 129 games played between the Steelheads, Mallards and ECHL Trenton.
"We are excited to add Taylor to our roster," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He has solid experience in our league and is a big body which should allow him to fit in nicely in our defensive system. We are also hoping to add Blake Forsyth back to the active roster soon."
Prior to turning pro, Vichorek played one season of collegiate hockey and Hamline University and three seasons of junior hockey in the North American Hockey League (NAHL).
Miller has played in six games with the Wolves and has a +1 plus/minus rating and two penalty minutes. The rookie forward has 13 goals and 11 assists in 28 games with the Mavericks this season.
"Kenton is really developing quickly in his rookie year," said Hillman. "His time in Chicago has really helped him and he has been a major contributor when he is in our roster. It is always a boost to get a player of Kenton's level back in our line-up."
Ortmeyer, a veteran of 345 National Hockey League (NHL) games, signed with AHL San Antonio on Thursday. The nine-year pro played in two games with the Mavericks this past weekend.
"Thank you, the organization and all the guys for giving me the opportunity to get closer to where I want to be," said Ortmeyer. "I will be keeping tabs on the Mavericks and wish the team the best of luck."
"We knew Jed's time with the Mavericks would be short term," said Mavericks' President and General Manager Brent Thiessen. "We are glad we helped him get back to where he should be."
Due to injuries, the Mavericks have also signed goaltender Robert Andrews and forward Michael Uvodich.
The Mavericks head to Tulsa for a game at BOK Center tonight. Missouri is back on home ice on Saturday, February 2 against the Quad City Mallards. The first 2,500 fans will receive a Mac Build-A-Bear courtesy of Santa Fe Glass. Tickets on are sale via Ticketmaster.com, by calling (800) 745-3000 or by heading to the Silverstein Eye Centers Box Office. Parking is always free at Independence Events Center. For more information on the Missouri Mavericks visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
Central Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Brahmas Fall to Rush in Shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Six Unanswered Goals Lift Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Cutthroats Power Play Rolls in 4-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Power Play Goals Fell Blaze in Denver - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Overcome by Oilers, 6-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Veterans Power Rush to Third Shootout Win of the Year - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Hand Americans Fifth Straigh Home Loss - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Win Three of Four Games Against Allen Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Kip Brennan Dealt to Arizona - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Acquire Veteran Kip Brennan from Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Quad City's Mickey Lang Named Easton/CHL Player of the Month - CHL
- Mallards' Lang Named Easton CHL Player of the Month - Quad City Mallards
- Arizona Sundogs Ladies Night February 21, 2013 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavs Sign Defenseman Vichorek, Miller Reassigned to Missouri - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Suspends Allen's Garrett Clarke - CHL
- Jung Selected as Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Torrie Jung Named Warrior/CHL Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Shots from the Point for February 1, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.