Mavericks Sign Former NHL Draft Pick
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Missouri Mavericks announced today they have signed defenseman Stephen Silas. Silas recently completed his collegiate career at Canadian Interuniversity Sports' University of Waterloo.
A 6-foot-1, 210-pound defender, Silas was taken in the fourth round (95th overall) by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2010 National Hockey League Entry Draft. He joins the Mavericks after an amateur career that saw him play four season for Waterloo and five for the Ontario Hockey League's Bellville Bulls.
Silas was a fixture in Waterloo's lineup and never missed a game as a Warrior. Over four seasons he logged 111 games and chipped in 63 points (16g, 47a) along with 100 penalty minutes. Silas was the Warriors' top-scoring defenseman as a junior (career-high 28 points) and senior (16 points). He also excelled off the ice and was twice named an Academic All-Canadian.
Prior to attending Waterloo, Silas patrolled the blue line for Bellville to the tune of a club-record 324 games. He helped the Bulls to division championships and trips to the OHL conference finals in the 2008-09 and 2012-13 seasons. Silas netted 20 points or more in four of his five seasons with the Bulls and totaled 164 points (22g, 142a) in his time there. He also served as an alternate captain in his final season.
Silas has joined the Mavericks in Independence and is expected to be available for the start of their three-game weekend at home that begins Friday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2017
- Rumpel Stonewalls Thunder in Shutout Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- St-Amant Receives Call Up, Simpson Returns To Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Nailers Acquire Defenseman Mike Krieg from Norfolk Admirals - Wheeling Nailers
- Gagne Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Former NHL Draft Pick - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions -March 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Deal Krieg to Wheeling; Sign Lewis to ATO - Norfolk Admirals
- Rush to Present Check to Special Olympics - Rapid City Rush
- Internet Sensation 'Dancing Goalie' Hired as New Brampton Beast 'Movement Coach' - Brampton Beast
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Newsletter Presented by Fairwinds Credit Union - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pacan Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Brampton Beast
- Brampton's Pacan Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Solar Bears Game Date Change - Orlando Solar Bears
- Houser Recalled to Cleveland - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Trio Bound for Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- CYCLONES GAME NOTES: vs. Adirondack - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Colorado's Saunders Named Warrior Hockey=2FECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Fuel to Build $20 Million Ice Facility in Greenwood - Indy Fuel
- Americans Loan Bryan Moore to Manitoba - Allen Americans
- Adirondack's Falkovsky Named CCM=2FECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Motte Returns to AHL with Chicago Wolves - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Receive Christian Hilbrich from Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Claim Goaltender Musico off Waivers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Add Goaltender Charlie Millen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monardo Recalled to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Defenseman Josh Atkinson Heads to the AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Overcome Aces Lead, Win Game Wednesday - Alaska Aces
- Seven Unanswered Goals Power Eagles to 16th Straight Victory - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Extend Winning Streak with Defeat of Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Shutdown the Rush - Landon Bow Earns 27-Save - Idaho Steelheads
- Bow Wins Goaltending Battle - Rapid City Rush
- Sorenson's Overtime Winner Carries Wings over Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- Sorenson, Wings Slip Past Mallards in Overtime - Quad City Mallards