Mavericks Open Weekend with Win over Idaho
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Missouri Mavericks welcomed the Idaho Steelheads to the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena for the first time ever on Friday and greeted them with a 4-2 victory. The Mavericks' win kicked off a three-in-three weekend and improved their record to 25-20-7 on the season.
The Mavericks worked quickly to build a first-period lead and scored twice on their first six shots. Kevin Tansey opened the scoring 9:23 into the game with a wrist shot from the slot which beat Idaho goalie Landon Bow. Luke Juha and Reed Seckel teamed up for the assists on Tansey's seventh goal of the season. Forty seven seconds later Dane Fox netted his team-leading 22nd to double the lead. Don Olivieri, who made his Mavericks and ECHL debut tonight, assisted on the goal along with Rocco Carzo.
Idaho scored a pair in similarly quick fashion late in the first to tie the game. Rob Linsmayer and Will Merchant converted power play goals for the Steelheads 1:14 apart to send the game into the second period deadlocked at two.
Missouri reigned in control of the game during the second period and was able to reclaim the lead. The Mavericks pressured the Steelheads into four penalties during the frame, and it was on the third of those four that Missouri capitalized. Tansey crept down from his point position into the slot and slipped a Kyle Schempp centering pass behind Bow for his second of the game. The goal at 12:27 was Tansey's eighth of the season and gave him his first professional multi-goal game.
In the third period the Mavericks turned to goalie Josh Robinson to help seal the win. It was his busiest period of the night with 17 shots sent his way. He also took a few bumps from Idaho players crashing the crease, but Robinson turned away each shot he faced and kept Missouri in the driver's seat.
Shawn Pauly added an empty-net goal for insurance in the final minute.
Robinson earned his second consecutive win, 10th of the season overall, with a 28-save effort. The Mavericks ended the night 1-for-5 on the power play and 2-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Mark your calendar! The Mavericks are back in action on home ice on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 7:05 p.m. to face the Idaho Steelheads! The Mavericks will welcome special guests - The Human Flags - for a special performance at first intermission. Groups of 15 or more are eligible for discounted tickets and preferred seating based on availability. Call the Mavericks at 816-252-7825 to book your group outing.
About the Missouri Mavericks: The Mavericks are members of the Mountain Division of the Western Conference of the ECHL- the Premier 'AA' Hockey League in North America. Founded in 2009, the Mavericks are entering their eighth season in team history at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks are the defending Brabham Cup winners after posting a league-leading record of 52-15-5 during the 2015-16 ECHL season, and have been honored with multiple community and league awards including the Harry S. Truman Special Community Service Recognition Award, the Bud Poile Governors' Cup (CHL), and the CHL Franchise of the Year Award for four consecutive seasons.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 24, 2017
- Admirals Use Complete Effort to Topple Swamp Rabbits, 5-3 - Norfolk Admirals
- Komets Net Five Unanswered to Prevail over Indy 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Open Weekend with Win over Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Recap: Mingo's Two-Goal Night Carries Wings Past Mallards - Kalamazoo Wings
- More Records Fall as Beast Outlast Division-Leading Monarchs In - Brampton Beast
- Royals Stumble Down the Stretch in Adirondack, Fall 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Recap: Rumpel Backstops Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo, Wings Drop Mallards 4-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Bested by Beast in Overtime, 6-5 - Manchester Monarchs
- GAME RECAP: Rawlyk Bites His Former Team as Atlanta Beats Solar - Atlanta Gladiators
- Owsley Spectacular in Loss at Cincinnati - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Take One on the Chin in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Everblades Tamed by Jackals in 3-1 Loss - Florida Everblades
- -- Eagles Forward Johnny Lazo Activated from Injured - Colorado Eagles
- Reading Royals (ECHL) Transaction: Royals Assert Successful Waiver - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, February 24 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Assigned Ed Wittchow from Springfield - Manchester Monarchs
- CYCLONES GAME NOTES: vs. Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- STEELHEADS: Game Day Storylines- at Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Game Preview - February 24 vs. Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Closes Season-Series in Cincinnati - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule 2.24 - Manchester Monarchs
- Military Appreciation Game Is Tonight | Call 918-632-7825 - Tulsa Oilers
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Adirondack Thunder (Friday, - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.