Mavericks Goaltender Levente Szuper Heads to Russia, Placed on Team Suspension
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks announced Friday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has placed goaltender Levente Szuper on team suspension. Szuper will leave the Mavericks to pursue his career with a team in Russia and he has been placed on team suspension by the Mavericks to retain his rights in the CHL. The Mavericks have signed goaltender Wes Russell.
"As we have stated over the last few weeks, we were acquiring an elite goaltender in Levente Szuper," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He has since been presented an opportunity by a team that he believes will be moving to the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) which is internationally recognized as one of the top leagues in the world. We are very happy that he has been given this opportunity and wish him the best of luck with the progression of his career. This is very bad timing for us, and we will go back to work and find a partner for Charlie Effinger."
Russell, 27 (1/7/85), was signed by the Mavericks' on an emergency basis. The Springfield, Illinois native last played for Robert Morris University in 2009.
Missouri will play three games in three nights starting tonight when the Mavericks host the Allen Americans at Independence Events Center. Missouri will then travel to Bloomington before heading back to Independence to take on the Fort Wayne Komets on Sunday, January 15. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale via Ticketmaster. Call (816) 252-7825 for more information or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Americans Fall to Missouri in a Hard Fought Battle 6-4 - Allen Americans
- Russo's Terrific Outing Helps Thunder Down Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Texas Falls 3-2 in Rio Grande Valley - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Top Bucks, 3-1, on Second Period Surge - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Fall to Sundogs - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Surge Past Americans, 6-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Killer Bees Reach Half Point of Season with 3-2 Win - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mallards Surge Past Dayton 6-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Earn Road Win Over Top CHL Team - Bloomington Blaze
- Gems Fall to Mallards 6-3 on Friday Night - Dayton Gems
- Mavericks Goaltender Levente Szuper Heads to Russia, Placed on Team Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Four CHL Officials Selected to Work USHL Top Prospects Game - CHL
- Gems Travel to Quad City to Battle the Mallards - Dayton Gems
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Saturday Is Youth Jersey Night as the Oilers Take on the Allen Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point for January 13, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.